eight

hello hellooooo! happy saturday!😇

i treated myself to a little birthday gift on Thursday. your favorite neighborhood author officially has her nose pierced after months of delay 🥳

not proofread because i turned 23 and i feel like everyone hates meeeeeee😗

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: angst, subtle swearing, emotional cheating
word count: 3639

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Enter," Y/n said and dropped the pen in her hands. She took off her glasses and picked her head up to see who was walking through the door. "Oh, good morning."

"Good morning," Emily said and shut the door behind her. She placed her hands behind her back. "Is it okay if I take Alexandra out to the city? She's been a little distant with everyone. I think some sunshine and local foods might make her feel better."

"So you've also noticed the change," Y/n said and sighed deeply. Emily dropped her shoulders and nodded her head. "I was hoping that she was just upset with me and letting her dramatics shine. I didn't realize she was taking it out on everyone else. I apologize if she's been rude to you or your team."

"She's not taking anything out on everyone," Emily said and took a step towards Y/n. "She's a teenager. These emotions are quite common. Believe me, she isn't the first angsty teenager to give their parents the cold shoulder. And I know you and Stephen are busy. I'm here to help any way I can."

Y/n's heart soared through her chest. Emily always had a way of making Y/n's walls crumble. It was a simply gesture for crying out loud. But, at the same time, it proves she cares about her family. After falling short on several occasions for her children, Y/n had learned to step up for them long before the BAU team arrived here. Any gesture that put them first was good in Y/n's eyes.

It was strange.

The woman she loved so deeply could actually have a working relationship with her daughter. It was something Y/n dreamed of—having both worlds collide with ease. Now that she was getting it, her brain seemed to be malfunctioning.

"You don't think it'll be a bit strange?" Y/n asked and rested her elbow against the arm rest. Her fingers pressed to her right temple. Emily chuckled softly and sat on the edge of Y/n's desk. "You don't have to do this. I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

"Again, here to help," Emily said and nodded her head towards Y/n. Her dreamy brown eyes had Y/n nearly tossing all this stupid paperwork to the side and flinging herself into her arms. But she couldn't.

Friends don't do that after all.

"You are a lifesaver," Y/n said and smiled sadly. Emily could see the fake smile from a mile away. The older woman didn't want to press any further and stood up. She walked towards the door before looking over her shoulder. Y/n turned in her chair, reaching up to her face before she was out of Emily's view.

"I'll keep her under close supervision," Emily said softly before leaving the room. The second the door shut, Y/n buried her face into her hands. She cried softly. About what? There wasn't a single thing that wasn't on that list.

She failed as a mother.

She was certain her daughter was going to hate her.

The secret of her and Emily could be on the verge of coming out.

The woman she loved was here—actually here, and she couldn't even reach out to touch her.

The thought of the country turning their backs to her after she felt like she finally got their validation.