25. Family Values

Dearest Marilyn,

The Dark Lord has visited us. He wishes for you to be arranged the his son Mattheo.

Since you seemed so upset about your primary arrangement to Theodore, your father and I agreed to rearrange you. 

This is an important opportunity for our family. If you marry Mattheo Riddle, our family moves up in the circle. I know you will make the right decision for our family. As your parents, we want what's best for you. We hope you will accept this change of arrangement with grace. Remember, our position among the sacred 28 is never secure. We all do what we must to keep this family neat. 

Love, Mum

Fuck.

She couldn't believe it. She was losing him. She was losing him and she didn't even have a choice. Marilyn slammed her fist on her desk, startling her owl as he ruffled his feathers, and took off through her open window in the dorm.

"Sorry Glaucon" She muttered

What was she going to do? Things were just starting to pick up between her and Theo. Everything seemed to have been going well between them and this letter was a wedge thrown between them. She wondered if Mattheo had anything to do with this. Theo hated Mattheo. Now he had even more reason to. 

We all do what we must to keep this family neat.

Her mother's words echoed in her head. Marilyn felt her tears brimming. There had to be something  she could do. Maybe she could floo to the manor, beg her parents to undo the arrangement. But she knew they wouldn't. She didn't have a choice. There was nothing she could do. Her parents made the decision for her. Not that it was much of a decision to begin with. When the Dark Lord asks something of you, there is no option. 

Tears rolled down her face as she sat alone in her room. Things between her and Theo were just starting to make sense, to work out. Marilyn ran a hand through her hair, sniffling. It was a done deal. No amount of crying would change it. She wiped her tears and left her room.

She had to find Theo. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theodore,

I have received word from the West family that your arrangement to Marilyn has been terminated. The Dark Lord wishes for her to be arranged to his son Mattheo. 

There is nothing I can do.

I'm sorry.

Theodore Sr.

Theo swiped his desk, shoving everything off in a rage. He slammed his hands on his desk. His breaths quickened and he clenched his fists. He couldn't believe it. He fucking hated Mattheo. He knew Mattheo would eventually use his father to get to Marilyn. The worst part was, Marilyn didn't have a choice. He knew she would obey her parents wishes. He had to obey his father's wishes as well. That's how their lives were. 

He felt small, out of control, alone. There was nothing he could do. Marilyn would leave him and marry Riddle. Tears found their way out, no matter how hard he tried to keep them back. He sat alone in the dorm, tears falling down his face, his head in his hands.

Just then, he heard a sharp knock at the door. 

He quickly wiped his tears, opening the door.

"Theo-" Marilyn started.

"We're done." He said, trying to close the door in her face. He didn't want to see her, he didn't want her to see him. 

Marilyn pushed the door back open.

"Seriously, you don't even want to talk about this?" She said, walking into his room, closing the door behind her.

"What's there to talk about? I got a letter. I'm caught up." He said cooly. Not looking at her. 

"Theo please. It wasn't my decision. I don't even want to do this."

"But you will anyway. Won't you?" Theo glared at her.

Marilyn struggled to shoot back at him.

"Well? Won't you?" He pushed. 

"Theo, you know I don't have any choice here." Marilyn whispered, trying to stop the tears from falling.

"Better get used to it. We never have any kind of choice in this." He spat at her. 

"Why are you mad at me? I'm not the one who made the decision." She said pointedly.

Theo said nothing, he turned away from her. 

"I didn't ask for this Theo! Believe me it is not ideal."

"You sure about that?"

Marilyn scoffed. 

"You can't possibly think that- that I wanted this to happen?" She asked furiously. "No you're right Theo. I just couldn't get enough of the dark lord's emo son, I just HAD to go and BEG him to marry me."

"NOTHING IS EVER YOUR FAULT LYN." Theo shouted, finally facing her. "YOU JUST SIT THERE AND ACT ALL INNOCENT- LIKE- LIKE YOU CAN'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. FOR ANYTHING!"

"BECAUSE THIS ISN'T MY FAULT THEO! IN WHAT WORLD WOULD I BE ABLE TO CHANGE THIS?" She yelled right back at him. 

"THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT YOU HAD TO GO OUT OF YOUR WAY AND BE NICE TO HIM AND INCLUDE HIM."

"THE DARK LORD SAID WE WERE EXPECTED TO! I WAS JUST DOING WHAT I WAS TOLD!"

"YOU WENT OFF WITH HIM, you gave him a good time I'm sure" Theo scoffed at her.

"I HAVE A TASK. ASSIGNED WITH HIM. I DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE." Marilyn bellowed. 

 "He wants you, so he went and told his daddy to buy you." 

"You can't possibly think Mattheo would actually do that." Marilyn said, shocked. 

"I don't know the guy Lyn. And you don't either."

"Fine. I'll ask him myself." She turned, walking towards the door and opening it.

"Don't bother coming back."

"Theo- we're not done here." 

"Yeah. We're done here."

"But I'm still-"

"Upset?" He cut her off. "Maybe your new fiancé can comfort you."

With that, he slammed the door in her face.