20. Back to school

The Slytherins were back at school. This time, a new addition alongside them. 

"So, Mattheo, you think you'll do well in defense against the dark arts?" Blaise asked as the group walked to class. 

"Why wouldn't I?" Mattheo scoffed.

"Because you're so gifted in the dark arts right? How are you at defense against them?" Pansy asked.

"You don't need defense against them if you defend with dark magic." Mattheo grinned at her before strolling into the classroom. The group sat down at desks near each other. 

Professor Lupin stood at the front of the classroom.

"Alright students, again, we are working on our nonverbal spells. Today let's practice the shield charm. Remember Protego, nonverbal." he announced. "We also have a new student. Mattheo Riddle correct?" He asked, gesturing to Mattheo.

Mattheo rolled his eyes and nodded.

"Let's have you come up and demonstrate and...Weasley, come up here, you'll be the offense." Professor Lupin nodded at Ron. 

The two boys stood at the front of the classroom, facing each other. 

"Okay, Ron, you stick to the stun spell, and Mattheo, show us the nonverbal shield charm. Continue into a normal duel from then on, for fun." Professor Lupin smiled and the class nodded eagerly. 

"Stupefy!" Ron yelled, pointing his wand at Mattheo who quickly shielded the spell silently. The class applauded. "Expelliarmus!" Ron yelled, trying to catch Mattheo off guard. But Mattheo waved his wand, muttering a dark hex. Ron started fidgeting and slowly pincers started growing out of his mouth, his eyes multiplied and legs started growing out of him, he started turning into a giant spider. There were screams from girls in the class.

"Riddle!" Lupin roared. 

Mattheo chuckled before flicking his wand, removing the hex.

Ron dropped to the floor panting and shaking. 

"A- a spid...der. h-he made me a spider." Ron whimpered. 

"This is defense against the dark arts. I suggest you drop the dark charms." Lupin approached Mattheo.

"Don't need defense against them." Mattheo shot back.

"I am disappointed. You're in for a rude awakening if you think you have all you need in the dark arts. Go sit down." 

Mattheo shrugged and sat back down. With Draco and Blaise who were both seemingly impressed with his dark arts speciality. Theo was impressed as well, not that he'd ever admit it.

The rest of the day was full of classes, in many of them Mattheo tried to apply his knowledge of dark magic. In all of them, he was scolded for it. 

Marilyn noticed that Mattheo didn't care about his reputation, he didn't care about doing well in classes. He was here to fulfill his father's task for him. That was it. He wasn't interested in making friends. Only conversing with the Slytherin group because it was his fathers wishes.

She almost felt bad for him. She did feel bad for him. She wondered if he had wanted to follow his fathers footsteps. It seemed as if he wanted this life though. He was well versed in the dark arts and he knew potions and poisons extremely well. She wondered if Mattheo was going to be a part of their group for a long time. Now that his existence was revealed, would they be seeing more of him? 

Draco and Blaise seemed to already get along with him. Marilyn remembered how Pansy looked at her when Mattheo was introduced at the initiation. They were both thinking the same thing. He was gorgeous. Marilyn hadn't given herself time to think about it but Mattheo was a good looking lad. He had dark curls, brown eyes that had a glimmer of mischief at all times, he was tall but not too tall, maybe 2 inches shorter than Theo. And then there was Theo. He didn't engage in conversation with Mattheo, staying quiet when Mattheo was involved in conversations. Marilyn couldn't make out his opinion of Mattheo. Theo was quiet sometimes but she noticed he had been more talkative and joked more when Mattheo wasn't around. Now that Mattheo was around more, Theo didn't add to the conversations as much. She wondered why.