𝙼𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛 [𝚂𝚘𝚊𝚙] ❕

The cold wind became more bearable as dawn peaked behind the mountains again.
With the fish you had caught earlier and more water, you were satisfied with your findings.

It was time to head back to him.

A two day storm that made its exit last night had caught you and soap as you travelled, all was well until he collapsed in the night.

The dammed fever you couldn't identify put a pause on your mission and you retreated back to an abounded shed, somewhere he'd be safe without you.

Instead of walking back through the farmers hills again you followed the bush track to the shed, beginning to jog now that you were close.

You left footprints in the mud on the way out, you tried not to make that mistake again.

When you arrived back you blocked the door shut, shoving wood and thin pipes in the handles to keep everyone and everything out.

Layers of gear fell to the floor as you pulled it off, setting it down on a table before tossing your catch into a bucket.

You found that soap was still on his back when you returned to the basement, a weight was lifted when you heard his breathing.

Still sleeping.

Before his fever fully took of over he told you he would make an effort to move if he could, and he hadn't. Not at all since you left.

The thin layer of sweat across his skin was relentless. Each time you wiped away from his face it returned, he frowned as you continued.

You placed a hand on his forehead, sighing as you felt the sting of heat against your fingers.

"It'll be over soon." You whispered.

In comparison to the first three hours of whatever sickness he fell too, soap was doing much better. The erratic breathing had calmed.

The corner you confided him to was hoarded with things you found from around the room.
A desk along with a bench intercepted the stairs to protect him while you were gone.

His eyes fluttered for just a second and you bent down, you didn't want to miss any of it.

"You awake?"

You tilted your head as he blinked, "Soap..?"

"I can't feel-" He slurred, "Can't feel anything."

The only injury you observed on his body was a swollen wrist and his sliced shoulder, both of those you tended to already.

You lifted your jacket above your head and laid it across his chest, biting your lip as you felt the cold nip at your arms.

You were careful when you lowered yourself beside him to clasp his hands gently.

"The suns not up all the way yet, hang in there"

Your gentle thumb caressing his hand was stopped by his fingers slowly grasping them as best he could. He whispered something you couldn't quiet hear so you leaned closer.

Soap then used what you assumed to be all his energy to pull you closer to him, his chin rested on your head as you settled on his chest.
The simple move made him shiver.

He whispered between breaths, "Don't leave."

"Im not."

You rubbed his arms as you focused on his breathing. Even though he fell back to sleep,
you fought off the fatigue to warm him up just a little longer.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

The cold floor beneath jolted you out of sleep. You drew in a deep breath before noticing that he was gone, he had left your jacket with you.

You pushed yourself off the floor feeling light headed,  "Johnny?"

Anxiety from within was quickly hushed when you heard his response, you found him perched on the desk around the corner with a weak smile.

"She's up" He spoke clearly.

"So are you."

Soap sat with his shoes in hand, cleaning them it looked like. He was wearing his familiar gear that you removed from him upstairs, he'd clearly been walking around without you.

You walked over to him and pressed a hand to his head, but the heat hadn't subsided at all.

"Not good"

"It's good enough" He shrugged, tossing his shoes to the side.

You bent down on your knees to investigate. His face still slightly swelled with redness, but the sweat had disappeared.

Soap was clearly determined, talking him into more rest was out of the question.

There was still a mission to finish and he wasn't letting up. His eyes said it all, so you didn't challenge him,

"How long did we sleep for?"

Right as you asked him you had a moment of self awareness, suddenly remembering how tightly you held johnny before you drifted off.

"Hours" He guessed, "Did ya sleep well?"

His cheekiness was pure in the moment but it was something he wouldn't forget.

"You know what? I did."

Soap chuckled lightly, his eyes returning to yours as you watched him.

"Thanks for dealin' with that, you're too good"

A light kiss from him on your knuckles caught you off guard, but still you mirrored the subtle smile soap wore on his face.

"Don't worry about it" Your delayed answer appeared in hopes to break the ice for a moment.

But soap only gave a simple slow nod, his eyes fixated on your every feature as he leaned down to you.

All at once, you sharply inhaled as you turned to sneeze, backing away from soap slightly, followed by another as you covered your mouth.

There was a silence as you inevitably sniffed.
Your eye almost twitched at the thought of being sick.

Soap obviously found it amusing, he apologised for laughing at your defeated stare.

"It got us both"

You sighed, "I can't be sick."

Soap only grinned, "That's exactly what I said."

With no hesitation he took your face in his palms before pecking your lips.
Your stammering heart almost had you forgetting that he still had a fever.

"Don't actually get me sick!" You pulled away.

Soap pulled you in playfully as you craned your head from side to side to dodge him. Standing up and walking to the other side of the room was the only escape.

Soap watched you from the desk, not bothering to get up and chase you. You suppressed your laughs from across the room.

"I'm glad you're feeling better."

He nodded, "Much better."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

AN/

been slacking, sorrows.
feel free to critique i need to improve

ya :D