𝚂𝚞𝚛𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎 [𝙶𝚊𝚣] ❕❕[𝚁𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝]

The sweet aroma of hot bread stayed lingering in your kitchen just as you intended. A cold morning it was but a warm day was promised by the fog in your garden.

"You need help?"

Gaz had finished his breakfast in no time leaving him to sip away on his coffee as he recited his plans for the day, waiting patiently for you to finish.

You looked to the half finished plate, determined to finish it, "I'm almost done.."

"You said that 10 minutes ago.."
Kyle took his own fork and stole a bite of your food to help you finish. You were secretly glad. He had made it a habit to cook way too much food for you.

As he pulled his chair closer you enjoyed the last of your breakfast together as the sun peaked into through the windows.

"It's gonna be a bit of a road trip"
Kyle poked some fruit onto his fork, offering it to you as he waited patiently.

"How long is this road trip?"

"I put a blanket away for you in my car.."

Your husband was well at enticing you into his little adventures no matter how unenthusiastic you were.

"Where are we going?" You almost groaned.

Kyle only smiled, waiting for you to take the last bite of food, "Eat." He said.

So you did, watching his eyes as if they would provide a clue to this mysterious trip. Anniversary? No. And nobody's birthday came to mind. Family visit maybe?

He closed the gap between you both,
"Stop that. You're trying to guess"

"I wasn't."

"You were."
Kyle kissed you once, then twice.
His affection distracted you with joy but it didn't stop your mind from wondering.
He smothered you until it was annoying. He did it so often that it was routine at this point.

"Okay..."
Amusing as it was you begged him to stop as your stomach cramped from laughter.

When he pulled away a loud ring came from the counter tearing your focus away from your husband. It was kyles phone.

Not his personal, but his work phone.
You subconsciously memorised that specific ringtone cause it only meant one thing.

The longer he let it ring the sooner your warm smile melted from your face as you waited.
Your fork lowered onto your plate as you looked to him, his playful demeanour had vanished.

He hushed the noise completely brushing off the caller and flipping his phone face down.
"It's nothing, love." Kyle shrugged.

Your coffee cup was cold to the touch now but it didn't bother you like it usually would. Suddenly you had no appetite or desire to finish anything else.

"I think I might go shower"

"I'll clean up, you go ahead" kyle walked over to leave a peck on your forehead, taking your plate with him as he turned away.

Every minute you spent getting ready you wondered about the phone call. That vile tug of insecurity was relentless with no space for rational thinking.

Two years had passed by without a fuss and you intended to keep it that way. With kyle by your side in your quiet home, with no worry that he would be whisked away by work.

Nothing could take him from you but that one thing, a prospect you were still learning to live with even after all this time.

Your outfit satisfied you and the thoughts came to a halt when you heard a knock.