Chapter Thirty

Ruby sat on the beach, watching the waves crash in the distance.

Her shirt was still stained from JJ's blood, she couldn't shake the image of him being limp in her arms out of her head.

Even if he kept reassuring her that he was okay she still couldn't erase the image out of her mind.

Currently the rest of the pogues were body surfing, so Ruby found a quiet place to be alone with her thoughts.

She looked over as John B came over and sat beside her, new gauze and bandages in hand.

" how are you holding up?" He asked, taking the soiled bandage off her arm, both twins cringing, " the best I can.." she answered honestly.

Ever since she was shot they haven't really had time to talk and process everything that has gone down, this was just the icing on the cake.

"He's okay y'know.." John B said quietly, " yea and he almost wasn't" Ruby snapped, " and neither were you" he fired back, making her pause for a moment.

" he almost lost you- hell I almost lost you Rue!" John B yelled, tears filling his eyes, " but I'm right here.." Ruby said quietly, gently touching his arm.

" and you almost weren't. Do you really think I can live with myself knowing this is my fault? That all of this has happened because of my own selfish ways?" John B snapped, glaring out at the water.

" we've all almost lost each other JB.." Ruby said and laid back in the sand, letting sun warm her skin.

" I almost lost you. I almost lost Sage and hell I almost just lost JJ.. this is all my fault.." he said and laid beside her, " maybe.. but it's also made us all stronger.." she tried to reason.

Ruby looked over, a small smile gracing her lips as she saw JJ and Sage coming over- she paused for a moment then shook her head, getting a weird sense of deja vu.

She laughed as JJ laid on top of her, immediately running her fingers through his hair- this is exactly where she wanted to be.

She kissed the top of his head, checking on the cut on his temple- so far it looked like it was just a surface wound.

He laid his head against her chest and closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of her rubbing his head.

Her engagement ring shimmered as she watched the sunset, absentmindedly playing with JJ's hair as he fell asleep on her.

Ruby looked over at John B as he had his arm around Sage who had also fallen asleep.

The two shared a look, an unspoken understanding between them now.

They knew they'd be okay.

For now..