Chapter Ten

Seeing the chateau again was bittersweet, John B was happy to be home- but Ruby only saw a reminder of a person she would never be again.

She allowed her brother to go inside first, sitting down on the steps and cringing from the pain in her shoulder.

She looked over as JJ sat beside her, silently telling her they would get through this together, but she knew he would never fully understand what was going on inside her head.

Every time she closed her eyes Rafe haunted her, she thought she'd escaped him plaguing her every thought- she thought the constant anxiety in her chest had gone away.

But she was wrong.. Rafe Cameron would haunt her until the day she died, she'd never be free of him.

Ruby sighed and laid her head against JJ's shoulder, slightly relaxing as he kissed the top of her head.

"We didn't get the gold.. I'm sorry.." She said, her eyes peering up at him, only to find he was already looking at her, " I could care less about the gold Rubes.." he said and gently kissed her forehead.

"I love you Jesse James Maybank.." Ruby whispered, a small smile playing on her lips, "I love you Ruby Beatrice Routledge.." JJ whispered back, tilting her chin up and connecting their lips in a sweet kiss.

And just like that the tightness in her chest disappeared, her heart was pounding but she'd never felt more alive than in that moment.

They broke apart as John B came out with his arm around Sage, Ruby immediately running over and hugging her.

She glanced over at JJ, already know what he was thinking and nodded excitedly, " welcome home party!" JJ and Ruby cheered at the same time.

And seeing those two this happy, how could anyone say no?