Prologue

My head is spinning to fast. So much for the best seventh birthday ever. Our car flipped. Was this the end of my young life? I heard a scream escape my mouth. To be honest I have no idea what I was saying. Tears surfaced to my eyes. I was hanging upside down, my sister limp beside me. She took a pretty good hit when we got flipped over.

"Sadie, are you okay?" I poked her face. Her eyes were open like she was having a staring contest with the chair in front of her. "Sissy stop that! This is no time for your dumb games. We are upside down. We need help."

No response.

"Sissy, answer me right now!" I screamed. My voice was rough. I think I might be losing it. I let out a horrific scream. Was my sister dead. "Sadie, stop playing."

Still no response. There was no way she couldn't blink for that long. No.

I look back at my older brother. He will know what to do.

"Grey, help me. I think Sadie might be dead." his eyes flicker open and he stares at me. I don't know what to do. "Grey your head. Its... bleeding."

"Well it isn't like we just got hit by a huge truck or anything." Grey forces as much sarcasm into his voice.

"I think mom and dad are dead too." My voice cracks and tears stream down my face.

"At least we have each other... right?" He asks quietly.

"Promise you will never leave me, Grey. Promise right now." I scream at him. He reaches up for my hand and I take his lacing my small fingers with his large ones. I look into my brothers blue eyes. His brown hair sticking to the blood on his forehead.

"I won't, Skylar. I won't ever. Ever." I smiled at him continuing to hold his hand.

My brother was eleven. He was a total of four years and nine months older than me and...

My sister... Sadie. My dead sister.

Thats when I heard they sirens screaming out. I looked back at Grey. His eyes were shut. For a fleeting second I thought he might be dead. Then he squeezes my hand. He was alive. Now it was just me and him.

On our own.