Part 69: Iris

"There was a time in our lives when we could run this forest without concern for humans. And even when humans came across us, we knew what had to be done. How did we get to the point where we would kill for a human rather than kill the human?" I asked through the bond.

          My brain went a thousand miles an hour trying to make sense of our life.

          Reagan was nothing to us not so long ago. We didn't know her smell, how she looked, or how she felt in our arms. She was nothing to us. And now—now she's everything, and we are going to lose her before we ever get to express any life with her.

          I love my mates. I was happy just being bonded with them. It made us special. I didn't care that we couldn't mate all the way because we had each other. We were one.

          We panted as we pushed through the forest, paws digging deep into the cold ground.

           "We will never know life before her again, but something that has not changed since she's been in our lives is how much I love you all. To die with you is a fate I will endure because I cannot see myself without you, even in the afterlife. My heart, body, and soul belong to you all." Rose whined through the bond.

          My heart ached. I could feel all of their pain. All of their worry. But something was still missing. Reagan. To die without at least feeling her one last time seems like torture.

           I blame myself. I should have gone with her, ignored her protest, and followed her until this whole thing with Alan ended.

           Reagan is our breath of fresh air. She kind of reminds me of what it is like to shift. It's a pain to get through, but in the end, it is like nothing else I have ever experienced. Bliss is the only way I can describe it.

             "Do we have a set plan for when we see this witch, or are we going in canines first?" Ivy asked rationally.

          We ran harder, knowing we were getting closer to the city. Closer to more answers or clues. Our Elders were in front, while our Alphas were in the back. I'm sure they are having their own discussions.

          It's probably about what Celia revealed to us, but I can't think too much about that—at least not all of it. I want to focus my mind on other things, but knowing I could lose a mate is keeping me focused on one thing: killing. Specifically, killing Alan.

          He kidnapped our mate. Our laws should protect us if death is what comes to him.

          "Force answers out of her. I'm sure our Elders and Alphas will force us to be careful at first, but knowing the extremes of this situation, if the witch chooses to withhold something from us, they'll let us handle it accordingly." Hazel answered through the bond.

          After seeing her break down in the living room, I'm surprised she chooses to say anything.

          She and Rose are the ones we must watch when we come into contact with the witch. While we are all broken about this, I know my mates. Hazel and Rose will strike first and question her later. If even at all. I'm hoping anger and sadness won't get the better of them. I'm trying my hardest not to let it get the better of me.

          "My heart feels like it's going to shatter inside of me. I can't help but feel responsible. I mean... he's my father, or at least was at some point. In the back of my head, I can't help but feel like I could have done something. All of this started because she mated with us, and he believed her to be pregnant. What if he thinks it's mine? What will he do to her if he finds out she isn't really pregnant? Or worse? What if he ignores that possibility and keeps her hostage for a full pregnancy term only to kill her in the end?" Ivy sounded so anxious, so broken, so hurt.