Chapter Nineteen

I was shoved into a tent as soon as we reached the base camp just outside the Fold

I was shoved into a tent as soon as we reached the base camp just outside the Fold. The memories of what took place the last time we were here plagued my mind.

Alina and I were separated, but I knew that I couldn't take down two armies and the bloody Darkling with Mal being held hostage somewhere, and Alina in chains, with our power under Aleksander's control.

I felt so helpless.

I had the power to fight, but I didn't have the freedom to do so, and it was killing me.

The tent I was put into had a bed, a desk, and a vanity. There was a mirror. I slowly walked over to it, taking off the blanket that had been draped over me and looking at myself in the mirror.

The antlers were poking out of the skin of my neck on either side. I would never be able to wear a shirt again. They were so obvious, I could never go unnoticed. Wear a disguise.

It hurt.

It ached, and it burned.

I felt so... violated.

I sat down, put my head in my hands, and felt my bottom lip start to tremble. My whole body shook as tears streamed down my face.

I didn't think this could hurt any worse, and then I figured it out.

How Aleksander knew Alina was having the dreams of the stag. How he got her sketch. How Mal never got our letters, and we never got his.

Genya.

And with that inner revelation, I broke down completely. I curled up in a corner against the bed, wrapped myself in the blanket and sobbed, doing my best to stay quiet.

-------------------------------------

Aleksander

Her words echoed in my head on a constant replay.

The look of betrayal on her face. The tears in her eyes.

I don't know who you are.

She was hiding from you.

I'm in chains!

It was all a lie.

You can't take this back!

The look on her face when she turned her head away from me. The lone tear that streamed down her cheek, how she prepared herself to be struck down by my hand.

I clenched my fist.

The Cut...

I closed my eyes, exhaling shakily.

She was in so much pain. She was so hurt, so scared. She was afraid of me.

I didn't know how I could earn her forgiveness back.