Chapter Four

<<Years Ago>>

<<Years Ago>>

"Three of them, in special uniforms, all done up and regal."

Jace's voice echoed through Keramzin's dining room as he told the other children about the Grisha that were coming to test the children.

"They put you in a line and they go one at a time."

"How many questions is it?" Bain asked with a grin.

"It's not that kind of test," Jace sneered. "They've got this device. It's all special made-like. They prick your arm." He added, stressing the word with an aggressive hint to scare the younger kids.

"Does it hurt?" Lysa asked, scared.

"Only for a bit." Jace replied. "And then you find out if you're Grisha, and you go and live in the Little Palace, and eat sweet melon and Kerch candies, wear special coats."

I leaned against the wall outside as I listened to him, feeling Alina sneak in beside me.

"Has anyone from here got picked?" Bain asked.

"Once. First year in. Lucian. Little pyro was an Inferni, of course." Jace scoffed. He always sounded so cruel with his delivery in words.

"I want to be a Tidemaker." Lysa announced.

"I bet I'm a Squaller." Bain boasted.

"You break wind, you don't make it." Jace scoffed, causing the other kids to laugh.

"How does the test work?" Alina and I turned along with the other kids to see Mal standing behind us, holding his bandaged hand. He'd cut himself and lied, saying the bunny did it, letting it escape.

"For you? For you, it won't." Jesse snapped. "They don't do the test if you're sick or injured. So thanks to your little scrap with dinner, you're gonna have to skip this year, mutt."

"Bastard," I shot back immediately, and he tensed.

"Children." Anna Kuya entered, and silence fell over our group. "Visitors." She announced. All the other children ran forward eagerly, but Alina and I immediately backed away.

I couldn't be tested. Alina grabbed Mal's good hand and we ran outside, into the field of tall grass, laying on the ground to hide.

"She didn't see us." Alina panted.

"We're safe." I added.

"Don't you wanna know if you're Grisha?" Mal asked us, confused.

"Not if we can't go together." Alina replied.

"And I know I'm not," I added. "So we stick together." I spotted Anna Kuya walking outside, and shoved Alina and Mal down first, hiding in the tall grass.

"Mal! Alina! Astrid!"

We turned over on our backs, myself in between the two, and Mal slowly reached over, taking my hand in his. I reached over and grabbed Alina's hand, and we hid together, waiting for the danger to pass.