Chapter Thirty-Four

I found myself back in that dark hall, only this time, I was standing in front of the open door leading into Kirigan's new room

He was standing with his back to me, staring down at his table, his hands held in front of him. "Come in." He said, although his voice was different. His tone was... darker.

I stood still, and he slowly turned around, his expression cold. "That wasn't a request." He said coldly, and I took a step back.

Mental tether.

Baghra's voice drifted through my ears, but it was clear I was the only person who heard it. "What are you doing?" I asked, fear running through me, my heart racing.

"You've been dancing the line for too long." Kirigan said darkly, walking towards me. I backed away, but my back hit the door. I turned around, shocked to see that I was somehow inside the room, against the closed door. "I was willing to wait before. I'm done waiting."

I saw his hand, where the stag amplifier used to be. It was scorched, but not by fire... by sunlight. Alina had tried to sever the link.

And he was enraged.

He stalked me like he did prey.

I closed my eyes, calling out through my mind to her. Perhaps if we were connected to him, we were connected to each other.

Alina?

Nothing. Kirigan only drew closer, and I didn't know how to fight him in here. If Baghra found Alina and showed her how to stop him, I needed to know what she knew.

If I could hear her through Kirigan and Alina, maybe she could hear me.

Baghra?

Strike back. Make him hurt you. You will wake.

Baghra's voice drifted through my mind, and my eyes widened.

Saints!

How was this possible?!

Do it, child!

"Stop!" I shouted at Kirigan as he came within a foot of me. Usually, he would listen. Stop, with a wounded expression on his face. But he was too angry.

I kicked my leg out, hitting him in the chest so he took a couple steps back. I slipped around him, running for the other side of the room, trying to keep some distance between us.

A hand wrapped around my arm and I was spun around. He was in my face, holding me close to him despite how I struggled against him. "Choose!" He snarled.

I pushed out with my hands, a blast of air leaving me and sending us both tumbling back. I tripped over the rug and fell back onto the floor.

He straightened, facing me with anger in his eyes. I crawled backwards, desperate, choppy breaths leaving my body. He stopped, faltering, as if he realized what he was doing.