Chapter Twenty-One

The sound of the volcra growling just a few feet away from us sent a chill up my spine

The sound of the volcra growling just a few feet away from us sent a chill up my spine. Ivan was back to controlling Mal, and I was still stuck next to Alina, who was still weakened from how much power had been drained from her.

I had to distract Kirigan, get him closer, make some sort of move.

I dug my fingers into my skin, not hiding my cry of pain as I felt fire course through my veins, my nerves tingling.

"Stop it, Astrid!" Kirigan shouted, grabbing my wrists again, this time face to face with me. His mouth was inches from mine. "Stop hurting yourself." He pleaded. "Stop fighting me."

"I wish I could." I whispered, and he faltered. "I wish we could go back to the fountain." I added, my voice thick with emotion. "I wish we could go back to your bed and pretend like none of this ever happened." I let a tear fall down my cheek, and he softened, reaching up to wipe it away.

I yanked his arm with force, causing him to spin around so I was standing behind him. I grabbed him in a head lock and started choking him. "But we can't." I said emotionally. "I don't want to hurt you," I cried, keeping pressure as he struggled. "But I have to save you from yourself. And I have to save them from you." I added.

I knew it was a long shot. I knew Ivan was preparing to crush my heart. I knew Kirigan had been fighting for a thousand years.

But I didn't expect him to be so strong. He grabbed my arm, got loose, and threw his elbows back. The width of his shoulders caused the entire back side of his body to slam against mine, and I fell backwards, hitting the deck hard.

My head smashed into the wood, and I felt a splitting pain before everything went dark.

---------------------------------------------------------

I was back under snow. I could feel the cold seeping through my bones. I could feel my power running through my veins, like it was mine again, but stronger.

I was touching something.

I opened my eyes, and gasped softly when I saw that I was back in the clearing, in Fjerda. I was touching the Stag.

My fingers were woven into the soft fur on its muzzle, and the air around me shimmered in rainbow colors. I always wondered why my power showed itself like that.

Why was I back here?

"What are you trying to tell me?" I asked the creature. It stared into my eyes like it knew me. Like it was trying to say something to me.

"Astrid, come back to me. I didn't mean to."

I stopped, confused as Kirigan's voice drifted through the air.

"Please, please don't be dead. Astrid, wake up."

"Wake up!" I gasped, opening my eyes, feeling hands on either side of my face. My vision was blurry at first, but once it cleared, I came face to face with Kirigan.