Chapter Twenty-Eight

After two weeks of intense training, I had become accustomed to the way Tolya and Tamar would jumpscare me for training

Yelen and Petyr were patient when it came to showing me different ways of being a Squallor, and one of the Inferni on board, Kiara, was kind enough to help me hone my skills. A tidemaker, Uriah, often showed me different things.

Maggie was very practical when it came to training me. She was very... Zemeni about it. She reminded me of Tarissa a lot.

Maggie was currently showing me how to fix the harpoon gun that the Sea Whip had broken with its jaws. We were fixing that one and building a second one.

I waved my hand, making the final bolt soar gently through the air and into my open palm. I put it on the harpoon gun and twisted my hand without touching the bolt, watching as it twisted into place.

"Yes!" I pumped my fist, and Maggie high fived me proudly.

"Well done! Now, let's see if it works." She ran her hands over it, closing her eyes and observing every inner part of the gun. A wide grin slowly spread across her face. She opened her eyes, turning to me with excitement. "You did it!"

"Yes!" I turned around to look at Tolya and Tamar, who were watching while they were snacking. My grin was huge. I wanted someone to see that I succeeded. They both sent me huge grins.

"Oh, look, she finished!" Alina said cheerfully, bouncing up to me, Mal behind her.

"Astrid, think fast!" Tolya called, holding up a dagger. He threw the dagger and I gasped, reacting. I threw my hands out, causing the dagger to deflect off to the right of Alina's face, embedding in the mast.

"Oi!" Mal exclaimed in outrage.

"Relax, Mal, he told me he would do it." Alina said, waving him off. My jaw dropped.

"You bloody knew?!" I shrieked.

"Maggie was ready the entire time." Tamar said, pointing behind me. I turned to look at the durast, who raised her hands, shrugging. Laughter came from the group, but Mal was displeased.

"On guard!" Tamar flung herself at Mal with her axes drawn. Mal raised his arms in self defense, and I threw my hands out, summoning Tamar's axes. They flew from her hands, the handles colliding with my own.

I gripped them, staring at them in surprise. Tamar slowly turned around, grinning. "Impressive." She praised.

"Well done!" Tolya agreed.

"Good form." Maggie nodded.

"That was scary." Mal whispered to Alina, who snickered. I spun the axes, and felt a wide grin split across my face.

"I feel so cool right now, cannot lie." I admitted, practically gushing with excitement.

"Look at that cheesy grin on her face." Tamar said to her brother, who was nodding.