30. The Second Meeting

It was about time for school to start up again. Before they were to leave, Marilyn and her friends were to attend another Death Eater meeting.

They waited anxiously around the dining table of The Riddle House.

"Why do you suppose he's only called for us?" Pansy whispered, biting her nails.

Draco shrugged.

"This is the first time I've ever been to his house." Blaise chuckled.

"Mine too" Marilyn nodded.

"Well what do you think of it?" A voice came from the kitchen door.

It was Mattheo. He smirked as he waltzed in and sat down next to Pansy, and across from Theo.

"It's a bit creepy if Im being honest." Pansy shrugged.

"Pans!" Marilyn hushed her, elbowing her in the ribcage.

"What?" Pansy shot back.

"It's okay I don't particularly love it here either." Mattheo grinned.

"We are gathered here for the greater good." a snake-like voice came from the door.

The young death eaters stood up quickly as he entered the room. Marilyn shuddered. It was as if the room had gone cold, all the warmth and light, scattered as he entered.

The Dark Lord sat at the head of the table.

Everyone else sat after him.

"Right now, Draco and Theodore are on the task to kill the headmaster." The Dark Lord spoke slowly. Marilyn felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

She looked over to Mattheo who was staring at his father, expressionless. She wondered whether Mattheo was intimidated by his father or used to his eerie manner.

"The headmaster is wise, he doesn't travel alone. He has his professors and secretaries and assistants around him. This task is imperative. If the headmaster is not defeated, we can't infiltrate the school."

Everyone nodded.

"Marilyn, Pansy, Blaise. You are to assist these boys when they confront the headmaster. You will perform the task if they cannot, you will take care of any and all obstacles." Voldemort hissed.

Marilyn froze. She knew it was going to happen. She was responsible for a murder. The Dark Lord had said she would need to "take care" of any and all obstacles. Marilyn remembered the last time the Dark Lord had asked Lucius to "take care" of something, he murdered an innocent man.

Marilyn started to glance at Theo but stopped herself. She couldn't seek comfort in another man when the Dark Lord, the father of her future husband was in the room with them. Marilyn realized she would not be able to seek comfort in Theodore until the tasks were finished. Only then could she be free of the Dark Lord's constant interference.

Right?

Or would she never be free?

As long as she was a West, she was tied to the pure-blood, Slytherin families. She would always be a Death Eater. As long as the Dark Lord reigned, her and her friends would always be at his service.

She would never be able to be with Theo.

Her whole life would forever be in someone else's control. Pretending she had more time with Theo was useless. They could have had a chance but they were too stubborn to see what could have been. By the time they dropped their swords, it was too late.

She would marry Mattheo.

She had to.

The sound of the door closing startled her thoughts. A hooded figure waltzed into the kitchen.

"Ah, Severus, I was beginning to think you wouldn't show." The Dark Lord rasped.

"I had to make sure I wasn't followed my lord." Professor Snape spoke as he sat at the table next to Draco.

"Professor Snape here is aware of your task and will see to it that you complete it."

Marilyn grimaced. As if the task wasn't stressful enough. The Dark Lord had placed his most trusted advisor on the same task as them. They could not fail.

"That is all. You're dismissed." The Dark Lord rasped, interrupting Marilyn's internal crisis.

Theo, who had been trying to catch Marilyn's eye for the past 10 minutes stood up first as the rest of the group collectively stood up to leave, Professor Snape and the Dark Lord wandered out, Mattheo following them solemnly.

"Hey, Lyn can we talk about the other night?" Theo muttered to her as they walked out of the Riddle House and started walking down to their homes.

Marilyn froze. She looked around desperately for a distraction but Draco, Pansy and Blaise were far ahead of them and lost in conversation.

"It was a mistake." She said quickly.

He looked down at the ground.

"I'm sorry Theo. I was drunk and...I made a mistake. Giving any hope to this...idea that we can work out is... it's..."

"Useless?"

"Yeah. You heard what went on in there, we have a task to do and we just can't let anything distract us from that."

"Right."

"I have to marry him you know." Marilyn sighed.

"I know."

They walked home in silence and in snow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you guys are enjoying this story because I'm finding so much joy in writing again. If you wanted to know anything about me, the writer, well...

Here I am sitting in bed, .... as a kite, eating Milk Duds (very unpopular choice, I know. But I encourage you to give them a try and to perhaps read this story as you pick the caramel out of your teeth.)

Okay anyway byeee sisters