Chapter 4: Letters and Pottery

Victoria sighed as she stared down at the letter in her hands. It was from Boston, Victoria could tell from the stamp and the address. She didn't want to open it, scared about the two things that were going to come from this. It had come earlier that day but Victoria was too scared to open it, even now as Daniel laid fast asleep beside her.

Slowly she opened up the envelope and pulled out the letter. She took a deep breath before turning it around, her eyes scanning the words as she read. Her heart raced and a smile covered her face, she had gotten in. Victoria sat up in bed and cheered forgetting about the boy sleeping on the floor.

"Victoria?" The girl quickly hid the letter as Daniel moved

Victoria stopped her cheering, her eyes wide as she saw Daniel.

He asked groggily. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm okay. Go back to bed." She answered

"You sure?" He insisted

Victoria smiled reassuring her boyfriend. "Yeah I'm fine. I promise."

"Goodnight."

"Good night."

Victoria couldn't tell Daniel now, not when he was happy with Mr. Miyagi and the Bonsai shop. The girl looked down at her letter putting it back in the envelope and slipped it under the pillow. Things were looking up for Victoria.

••••

"Here I got this Mr. Miyagi." Victoria said quickly moving to take the door from Mr. Miyagi's hands. "Thank you Victoria-San."

She smiled and nodded to her mentor as the door opened and Daniel stepped in. He was holding a Bonsai, one that Mr. Miyagi had been working on. Victoria sighed, she wished she still had hers but that was gone with the rubble of the rest of her home.

"Hey guys." He called as he closed the fort behind him. Victoria looked at the plant and Daniel said. "I brought over this tree. You know, the one you were working on this morning. I figured you might want to give it another try."

"Thank you." Mr. Miyagi said as Daniel pushed the tree into his hands

Victoria sighed, "you know I would've brought my trees but I'm not sure if I can find them."

Daniel chuckled slightly at the joke but continued talking. "I thought a change of scenery might bring what's inside outside, huh. Where should I put it?"

"Over here okay." Miyagi guided Daniel over to a corner

Victoria stood watching Mr. Miyagi and Daniel.The letter still fresh in her mind and her smile faded, god! would she miss this. She'd miss learning Karate, miss hanging out with Daniel, miss all the laughter and the nights when her and Daniel would just talk.

Daniel looked around the shop, "you've done a lot of work here. This place is bigger than I thought." Victoria nodded adding a "yeah you got that right."

"There's your charcoal." Daniel set down Mr. Miyagi before turning and looking at Victoria

"Thank you."

"Listen, I hope you don't mind but, um...I opened that letter." Victoria's heart raced as she looked at Daniel. He opened the letter?

"What letter?" She quickly asked scared that it was the letter she was thinking about

"The one that came today from the All Valley Tournament." Victoria let out a sigh as Daniel explained. "There's a new rule this year. Would you like to read about it?"