Honey I'm Home

Elena's POV:
I was just telling Stefan how Damon was gone and not coming back, and here he is. Standing in front of Stefan and I.
"Damon." I said shocked.
He said nothing to me but instead walked past both of us and grabbed a glass and a bottle of bourbon from the cabinet.
"Where have you been Damon?" Stefan asked.
"Here, there, everywhere. Hello Elena." Damon said making sure to over pronounce the E.
This isn't the Damon I left 5 years ago. He's cold, and detached.
I decided to head up the stairs when I ran into Dean.
"What's going on down there?" He said
"Damon's back." I said stiffly
He headed down the stairs but I grabbed his arm.
"Dean wait. You might want to wait and meet him tomorrow, he's not acting normal." I said intently
Dean nodded and went back up the stairs. Once I got to my room, I fell asleep quickly wanting to sleep off Damon's return. Just as I dozed off I was woken up by Damon.
"What are you doing in here. You scared me." I said gasping for air.
"We need to talk, and I didn't want to do it in front of Stefan." he said
"Ok so you picked to talk at 3 am?" I said
He shook off my question.
"A lot has changed since you left Elena." He said intently
"I hadn't noticed." I said sarcastically.
"I've changed, I can't wait around and watch you die over and over again. Now that your human you are more fragile and these past 5 years have shown me that I'm not ready to be weak and fragile." he said
"What are you saying Damon?" I asked
"I'm saying that I can't be with you Elena, it won't last. Were poison for each other, you deserve a family and I can't give that to you." he said.
"Can't or won't? Because before I was put to sleep you were ready to be human with me." I said raising my voice.
"I'm sorry Elena, I didn't come back for you. I came back for my family. Stefan and Sara." he said looking down.
Dean walked in my room just as Damon was leaving. He must have heard our fight. Damon glared at him as he left. I started crying, like uncontrollable sobs. It's done. Dean rushed over and wrapped his arms around me.
"Shh shhh it's ok." Dean said comfortingly.
"It's really over now." I said
"Maybe it's for the best, I can kick his vampire ass if you want me to Lena." he said
I smiled at him, only Dean could make me laugh right now.
He got up and started heading to the door.
"Dean wait, will you stay with me tonight?" I asked
"Sure." he said quietly.
He walked back over to my bed and wrapped his arms around me and I fell asleep in his embrace.

Dean's POV:
Elena's ass of an ex boyfriend rolled into town last night. She was a wreck, I wanted to kill that son of a bitch. She held out hope that this piece of trash would still love her while she was cursed by a psycho that he pissed of in the first place. I stayed with her, I liked being that close to her. She felt like home. She fell asleep almost instantly, and I fell not much longer after that. I woke up the next morning before she did. That was the best night of sleep I've had in years. I watched her as she slept and it reminded me of when I first saw her sleeping in the crypt. Her skin was fare and her hair was a dark chocolate brown. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as beautiful as her. She started to stir in my arms. Her eyes opened slowly. What happened next was incredible. She smiled at me. This million dollar smile.
"Good morning beautiful." I said
She just gazed at me. Wow.
"Thank you for staying with me last night. I needed that." she said
"Anytime." I said
We got up and started to head down stairs, but when we opened the door we ran into Sam. He looked shocked to say the least.
"Sam." I said
"Dean... Elena." he said walking away with a huge grin on his face.
Geez Sam, get it together.
We walked down the stairs and everyone watched us as we came down. Apparently we slept in a little late and everyone was waiting on us. Elena didn't look to phased At least Jeremy and Alaric didn't look too appalled. We didn't even do anything and I feel like I'm on trial. Caroline walked up to Elena and pulled her aside to chat. I went over to Sam.
"You just couldn't resist could you." Sam said
"We didn't do anything, just slept." I said
"Really? that's a first." He said
"Damon came home last night and she needed comfort." I said
"Damon as in her ex?" He asked.
"Yep."
Damon walked into the house and everyone just stared. Apparently he left early this morning before anyone could see him and is just now returning. I want to punch him in his smug face. Elena eyes me and I can tell what she is saying. Its the look of leave him alone. Wonderful. Sara's funeral was tomorrow and everyone was heading out after that. Caroline and Klaus were leaving right after. Something about a vampire crisis in New Orleans. Today was the first day since we arrived that we didn't have anything going on. We checked with the sheriffs station there were no unexplainable deaths last night. It was quiet. Sam and I decided to go back to to where we fought off the nest to do some house cleaning if you will. We tourched the place. No more nest.
Once we got back to the house everyone was gone except Damon.
"You must be Sam and Dean Winchester. I've heard of some of your work. Impressive." he said
"Thanks." Sam said
"I'm curious, how did you know about Elena and the crypt?" he asked
"Rumors throughout hunters, we didn't know the cure was a person. That was a surprise." I said
"So what do you plan on doing with her now?" He asked
"Nothing, we'd never hurt Elena." I said loudly.
After that we were joined by the rest of the group. Damon left again, leaving everyone wanting to know more.

************************************
Authors Note:
So Damon's back and more of an ass hole than previously thought possible
I've never been a Delena fan always on team Stefan so I couldn't make him a good guy.