Episode One, Part 6:

Renascence

Izzy stood on the far side of the fire-pit, close to the Quarter's entrance with Eden. They had a decent view of camp from where they were, and could see the majority of their people as they engaged in daily routines or carefree conversations.

"We're almost out of firewood," Eden said from beside her.

Izzy glanced over at the usual pile of logs and branches, almost missing it as it was so empty.

"We burned through most of it this winter," she said. "It was the coldest one I've ever experienced."

"Same here," Eden said. "I hope next year's won't be as bad... I'll arrange for a group of foragers to head off tomorrow to get some more wood."

"Good plan," Izzy said, then, struck with a sudden worry, "just don't send Myles."

"...Maybe it would be a good idea to send him."

"How so?"

"If one of us followed, we could see if he stayed with the group, or wandered off to meet someone."

"If he was going to meet someone, then surely it would have to be pre-arranged. Meaning he would have to have some form of contact with them when they're not together."

Eden arched an eyebrow as she looked at Izzy; both girls seeming to share in their suspicions.

"Maybe I'm on to something," Izzy said, letting out an unamused chuckle.

"I'll assign a team tonight, and then I'll follow them shortly after they leave tomorrow," Eden said.

"What about your classes? Aren't you teaching armed combat?"

"Aunt Dreea can cover me."

"Then we'd have to tell her why you can't teach the class, which is because of our suspicions about Myles, and she'll want to know about that, too."

Eden sighed. "I'll figure it out. There has be to someone who can cover without asking a million questions about it. Worse comes to worst, I'll ask Archer."

Izzy laughed at Eden's comment, trying to imagine the chaos that was six-year-old Archer armed with a bunch of weapons. "It might be worth taking someone with you tomorrow," she said, changing the subject back to a more serious note.

"What, for backup?"

Izzy nodded.

"Wow. I guess you are pretty worried about this," Eden said, "if you really want me to have backup. We haven't needed protection outside of camp for years, Izzy... Do you really think this is leading somewhere? That it's not just us getting this entire situation with Myles all confused?"

"I don't want to to take the risk," she answered. "Which is why you need to take someone with you tomorrow. Someone that won't tell anyone else... What about Haven?"

Eden frowned. "I thought her and Ares were having their medic training tomorrow?"

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about that... How about Elijah?"

A smile took over Eden's features, and she let out a small laugh. "I mean, he's really not great at weaponry, which is why he quit his guard training, so if we did run into danger outside of camp, I think I'd be the one having to save him," she joked. "But I know he wouldn't tell anyone about why we were leaving if I asked him not to, so I guess he's the only choice."

"Plus, you two could have some alone time outside of camp together," Izzy teased, poking her arm into Eden. "I'm guessing your parents still aren't his biggest fan?"