Chapter 5. Rather Be With You

HAERIN's POV

"Babe, how do I look?" I lift my head, darting my gaze away from the screen of my phone to the girl standing a few feet away from me. "You look great, baby," I replied as I stood up then walked over to where Hanni is standing.

It's the day of the party at Dr. Kim's. I'm not the kind of person to enjoy parties but since Hanni insisted, I wouldn't be able to say no. Also, If I don't go then it would be pretty cruel. Letting your wife go to a party alone? That's a bit much.

My arms wrapped itself around the tiny waist of my wife's. Hanni quickly wraps her arms around my neck before our lips press against each other.

I don't understand. They're all kisses, but Hanni's kisses towards me are not the same as hers. I want to feel her lips again.

As we pulled apart, I forced out a faint smile. Her eyes glistened and sparkled as she looked up into my eyes.

"Haerin, I was thinking that.... maybe, we're ready for a child."

My mind went blank. A child? My mouth and words stumble as I try to reply to what she said.

"A child?"
"Yes, Haerin. A child, a kid, children. Us as parents."

Hanni said. A soft blush smeared all over her cheeks. She tiptoed as she gave me a quick peck on my lips. "I'm twenty-six and you're twenty-four now, both of our careers are doing fantastic. Our life is comfortable and we've been married for four years. So I'm thinking that right now is the best time for us to bring another life into our home." She explained.

My mind is still trying to process whatever is going on. I love children, but how can we bring a child into this world whose parents aren't even equally in love with each other?

I used one of my hands to softly push her into my chest as I hugged her tightly. "We should get going. We'll have this conversation another time, darling." Luckily, Hanni agreed.

I held onto her hand until she was seated in the passenger seat.

"Are you ready?" I asked. "Yes!" Hanni said happily as she wiggled her feet around in the seat which seemed a bit too big for her. I pressed on the gas pedal and then started the engine.

Occasionally throughout the ride, Hanni would fidget in her seat and even sing her favourite songs. I chimed in to sing along with her, our voices being a great balance, supporting each other.

Once arrived, I opened the door for her, holding onto her hand as she stepped out of the car. "I love you." She whispered. "I love you too," I answered, my thumb caressing her hand as I held onto it tightly.

"Welcome! You guys are just on time." Dr. Kim greeted us as we entered. She extended her hand out towards me, initiating a handshake. I happily complied.

"I'm glad you could make it, Haerin. How have you been lately?" She asked, a friendly grin is still displayed on her face. "I've been doing alright, you know, just the usual. How about you?" We broke off our handshake. "I'm doing great myself, thank you for asking."

Just like that, the conversation became awkward. Hanni probably noticed and started to chime in. I watch as the both of them make small talk with each other.

There's just something between the two of them. A connection that's just so precious, a mixture of envy and jealousy washed over my body.

Just as their small talk ended, I grabbed onto Hanni's hand, pulling her with me into the modern monotone-coloured house.

The place isn't too noisy or flashy, It's manageable. I let go of Hanni's hand then walked over to the kitchen countertop which is placed with multiple glasses of red wine. As I was about to take a sip from the glass I picked up, a pair of arms hugged me from behind.