Chapter 11. In Secret

HAERIN's POV

Danielle🐶🥕

10:03
are you here with somebody?

It suddenly feels like there's a knot in my throat. She didn't see us.. did she? I bit down on my lips as I shove my phone back into my pocket. I can't respond to her right now.

Me and Hanni quickly drove home to greet her parents. They're nice people, they've always treat me like their own child and they're supportive of us. Hanni and her mom really are similar, at times I feel like they're a copy and paste version of each other. For her father, he's chill, doesn't talk a lot.

I bowed 90 degrees to greet my parents in law. "Hello mom and dad, it's great to be able to see you guys since so long." I said. Mrs. Pham pulled me into a hug and I hug her back, tightly.

"Mom, you should've texted me so we know to prepare!" Hanni said as she sets down four glass of sweetened black tea for her parents and us. Mrs. Pham just shrugged, nonchalantly then reply, "We wanted to surprise you! It's been so long and I miss my baby girl so much."

"How long are you staying?" Asked Hanni.
"Two weeks." Said her father.
"Oh! But don't worry, we've already booked a fancy hotel room nearby." Her mother added.

We all engage in conversations, talking about our marriage, how our careers have been, how my side of the family is going.

"When will you guys give us a grandchild?" I almost spit my drink out at the question. Mrs. and Mr. Pham looks and sounds way too passionate about this certain topic.

"We're working on it." Hanni smiled.

I gulped. We are? I suddenly remember back the message Danielle sent. My heart aches a little, I really want to go see her.

"Hanni." I said, waving her to come over to me as I lean against the kitchen counter. She went into my arms and hugged me. "Yes?", "I have to go somewhere, I'll be back soon. Is that okay?" I explained. "Mhm." Hanni added, "I'll keep dad and mom company, but be home soon. I love you." She whispered softly before kissing me.

I nodded before taking my keys then leave the house. On my way over to Danielle's dorm, I stopped at a store that primarily sells stuffed animals. I've noticed how much she adore her stuffed animals.

I scanned through the aisle of aquatic animals to find the perfect stuffed toy that I believe she would love. After about twenty minutes, I chose a turtle. With a huge smiley face and its crescent eye shape. It reminds me of Danielle and how bright of a person she is.

I also love her crescent eyes shape whenever she smiles. It's adorable.

I dialled her contact while waiting in line. After a few moments of ringing, she picked up.

"Hello?"
"Danielle, where are you? Right now?"
"I'm still at the aquarium, why?"
"Stay there. I'm going to where you are."
"Wait- what? Why? I thought you left?"
"I did, but.. I just want to see you."

Was the last thing I said before hanging up. I paid for the stuffed toy then headed straight to the aquarium.

Truth is, I don't even know what I'm doing. It's like some force took over me, I feel determined to prove Danielle that I love her. This never happened before. What's wrong with me?