Is anything in the oven?

Taylor's POV

As I walked down the hallway, I ran into Jase.

"Everything alright with you guys?" Jase asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's as good as it can get under our circumstances. How's Grayson?" I felt bad for him. I hope he was alright.

"He's okay. I haven't really had the chance to talk to him. I don't know what you did in that nest, but you sure left your mark on him." He joked to ease the tension but it didn't work.

"I feel bad. It was a careless mistake and I shouldn't have used your son like that."

"Hey he's a grown man. He can take care of himself. Was it careless? Sure. But we all make mistakes." He ruffled my hair.

I swatted his hands away. "Knock it off. When will you stop doing that?" I asked.

"When I'm dead. Actually I'll probably mess with you in my afterlife too." He let out a loud laugh. It echoed through the corridors.

"Grayson mentioned that you know a man named Falcon." He stiffened when I said his name. "What do you know about him?"

He hesitated. "He betrayed me."

"How? I thought you two worked together." I was getting more and more curious.

"I don't like talking about that. It wasn't the best time of my life." Funny Jase was gone and serious Jase was back.

"Oh I understand. Sorry for asking." Damn it. I always push people too far.

Jase opened a pair of doors and we entered the dining room. There were four rows of tables with probably 70 chairs at each table. There was a table on the other side of the room facing the tables where Nikolai and Lydia were sitting.

Everyone turned to me and Jase and it fell silent. Nikolai stood up drawing everyone in with his power.

"Everyone, this is my daughter, Taylor. If you'd be wise, you will treat her with the upmost respect." Nikolai announced. He motioned me to sit by him. Most of the people smiled at me, some went back to there conversations, and some didn't seem to happy.

I scanned the table looking for Grayson and he was sitting with some girls and boys. It looked like something was troubling him. Probably me.

I went to go sit next to my father. I smiled at him and sat down. Once I was seated there were serves who came to serve us food.

"How is he?" Nikolai asked me. I knew he was asking about Xavier.

"He's fine. Still uneasy, but better." I answered.

"We he'll be uneasy until you bond with him." Nikolai took a bite out of his food.

I took a bite. "Goodness, this is delicious! What is it?" I needed to know what I'm eating.

"Mountain goat and mashed potatoes. Our hunters caught it this morning and it's been marinating ever since." The chef answered behind me.

"This is great." I complimented him. He smiled at me triumphantly. Maybe Xavier would want to try some.

"May I bring this back to my room?" I asked Nikolai.

"Sure." He gave me a wink to let me know he knew what I meant.

As I walked back to my room I started feeling queasy.

I opened the door and I saw Xavier laying on my bed. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing. What do you have there?" He looked at my plate.

"It's delicious. It's goat and some mashed potatoes. I brought some up because I thought that you might be hungry and want to try it." I placed it on the desk.