2) Something To Believe In

The young girl sat on a train completely still. Y/N didn't know how long she had been there. It was probably for a few hours now as the sun was setting. All that time she remained frozen in place while pushing everything away. She refused to admit what had happened to herself. She willed the shock and numbness to stay as long as possible so she wouldn't have to feel pain.

"Hi,"A quiet voice greeted, pulling her out of her empty mind. She looked up to see a boy around her age. With short brown hair and bright blue eyes, it almost felt wrong for someone to seem so normal after what she had witnessed.

"Hi,"She whispered, before returning to staring out the window. Without a word the boy invited himself to sit with her. She didn't acknowledge his presence, and he didn't make her. That was never Aris's intentions. He just needed to know that someone else was real. Someone without a sibling or friend by their side. Y/N just so happened to be the first person he saw.

"They killed my mom,"She suddenly uttered, not looking away from the window as she did. Despite how it would hurt her physically she desperately wished to be out there instead of being confined to the train.

"They killed my dad,"He murmured, pulling his knees to his chest. Together, they both stared outside and wondered what would come of them. If they would meet the same fate or something worse.

"Where do you think they're taking us?"He asked, gazing at her. She didn't look back as she answered the only thing that was clear.

"Nowhere good."

"They said they were good,"He whispered.

"Good people don't crack your mom's skull open in front of you,"She whispered back, not allowing herself to cry. She was going to hold it all in for as long as she could and keep herself in denial.

"No. They don't,"He agreed.

"Wherever they take us is going to be agonizing. My mom didn't hide me away all these years so I didn't go to a better place."

"What about your dad?"

"I don't know. I never met him. Mom was all I had,"She explained, finally meeting his eyes. In both of their minds they thought the same thing. Had. Y/N's mom was still laying on the floor covered in blood. Aris's dad was still in the basement with a bullet in his head. His mom was out or maybe she came back now. Maybe she had discovered that her child was gone and her husband was dead. Or maybe it would happen later. Not that it truly mattered. Sometime today she would come across the worst thing someone would have to see.

"Okay,"He nodded. Because what else could he say? They both knew saying sorry would do nothing. You say sorry when you bump into someone. You say sorry when you break something. You say sorry when you're too loud at night. Saying sorry because someone's only protection in the world has been murdered in front of them won't do any good. It won't bring them back.

"We don't deserve this,"He stated, still gazing at her. He took in her features. Her hair had been brushed out of her face allowing him to see the burns on her skin. With dull eyes and cracked lips it was clear she had spent too much time outside recently, maybe around twenty minutes. While it could be because she had been by the window she smelled like what he imagined flowers would, and for some reason the thought of something like that growing in this kind of world almost made him happy. Almost. If he was at home it may have brought a smile to his face. He would never go back though so he didn't think he would be able to if he tried.

"You don't know me. I very well might,"She pointed out. Though she knew she didn't deserve this the boy had just met her. In her mind he shouldn't have faith in anyone. Not even someone who seemed to be in the same situation.