Chapter 4 - "Emergency"

When I was done with work, I was supposed to meet with some friends, but I canceled and went straight home. I had to talk to my sister. I was literally rushing home after work; all I wanted was to put foot in my apartment. I parked my car in front of the apartment building, got in and press the button for the elevator.

I could take the stairs and I’d be there faster. But I don’t feel like going to the 5th floor on foot.

The elevator finally got to the lobby, I got in, press the “5” button and press the “close doors” button. This thing was taking so long to go up. I really thought it was going to stop. It finally got to my floor and I ran out.

People would think there’s something wrong with me, if they’d see me.

I put the key into the lock and turned. I opened the door and threw my purse on the floor as I was closing the door. I sat in front of the computer, luckily it was already open. I opened skype and I was just praying my sister was online.

“Yes!” I said as I clicked the “video call” button on her profile.

She wasn’t answering. I called a second time: no answer. So I wrote “EMERGENCY” on her skype wall.

That better get her to call me!

I was about to get up and walk away when she called.

“Abbey!” I screamed.

“What’s going on? What’s the big emergency?” she said. She looked quite worried.

“It’s a boy emergency!”  I replied.

“Oh! That IS an emergency! Who is he?” she asked.

I knew I could count on her to say it was an emergency.

“It’s not some random guy, Abbey, he’s actually a celebrity. Let me explain.” I said. So I told her everything that had happened on Friday night and earlier today.

“Oh my God! So one of The Wanted boys is hitting on you! I can’t believe this.” she said.

“He totally is, well I guess.. You know how bad I am when it comes to men.” I replied.

“Yes, I know. I can tell you that he is hitting on you.”

I don’t know why but I felt a huge smile making its way on my face when she said that.

“You like him! You totally like him!” she said, all excited.

“No! What? Why are you saying that?” I asked. I knew exactly why.

“You didn’t see the huge smile that was on your face five seconds ago. I did.” she said winking.

She looked quite excited about it and suddenly her mood changed.

“But wait, what about the “I will never date a celebrity talk” we had before you left?” she said.

“I know Abbey! That’s why I called you. I don’t know anymore.” I replied.

Before I left home to move here, my sister and I were talking and somehow I ended up saying that I would never date a celebrity, because they’re usually full of themselves and I don’t like that. I’m not saying they’re all like this, I know it’s not true, but when you’re on the “outside” it does look like a lot are like that and it’s ashamed. But I got to say, now that I’m on the “inside”, in some way, I can tell that I was wrong, to think that way.

“The thing is, now that I’m living here, I don’t think the same thing you know… and I didn’t get that weird feeling when I was around him, yesterday and today. That weird feeling that I should know who he is because he’s famous, the kind of feeling I get with some other celebrities that walks in the radio station. On Friday, I felt like I was at a bar and that I was talking to some random guy and today, well I didn’t speak to him that much, so I kind of felt the same way. He just doesn’t let on that he’s a huge pop star and that probably every girl wants to have his babies, you know…” I replied. At that point I was completely lost. I didn’t know where my head was at and I didn’t know what I was supposed to do.