Two

It was an unspoken deal that Wednesday visit Weathervane Cafe for the few days she was staying in town to visit Nevermore. At first, Wednesday had planned to go home after one day but was convinced to continue driving back and forth, especially after Enid begged her to. This decision may or may not have been also influenced by a certain barista at the cafe. So there she sat the next day, mug in hand.

Every time she arrived, there would be a pure black coffee lying on the counter, that Wednesday would drink while sitting in one of the window booths, admiring the outdoors. It had been particularly rainy recently, all the more reason to sit in the front row seats to the drizzle show.

Tyler would occasionally make a comment or two, to which Wednesday would reply with either a snarky remark or a stare, depending on what exactly he said. It was all in good nature. Well, as ‘good-natured’ as it could be when coming from Wednesday Addams. Tyler had a part to him that interested Wednesday enough for her to stay, and Tyler was just happy to have her around.

The previous day, Wednesday had gone to visit Nevermore, and it hadn’t changed at all since she had left. Although a new principal stood in place of Weems, nothing else seemed to shift after her leave. ‘Thing’ was particularly interested in communicating with Enid after such a long time apart, and Enid would just giggle and explain how things had been going at Nevermore. Wednesday wasn’t really much for small talk, or hearing about a school she no longer attended, so she only half-listened.

It was a miracle she was even able to step on Nevermore grounds, but it came to her attention that after the passing of Weems, Wednesday’s expulsion was never formally documented. Meaning, she technically wasn’t expelled at all. Not that it mattered much, she had no interest in returning to the school with no immediate benefits coming to mind.

By now, it was mid-day, although it wasn’t obvious given the darkened shadows in the sky and soft taps against the windows, it seemed more like the dead of night. Tyler had just come by with another black coffee, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand as he sat himself down on the opposite side of the booth. It was prime cafe time, lunch was typically the perfect window of time for people to grab a drink and a quick snack or two. However, the place was empty. With the exception of the customer that had just left, and the pair. “Any chance you know the cause of the emptiness in here? I doubt it’s originating by the lack of customer service.” The last comment was a slight jab at the fact Tyler would often neglect work to come and talk to Wednesday mid-shift.

Tyler just rolled his eyes at the criticism, deciding to ignore it for once. “There’s some funeral going on.” Wednesday perked up. How could she have missed something so trivial in the news? “A funeral?” She echoed his words curiously, this may have singlehandedly been the most thrilling news she heard that week. “It’s for some random employee. I didn’t decide to research it like I’m sure you would have.” He gets her. Seeing the way she perked up gave Tyler an idea.

“Did you want to go?”

“Do I want to lurk about a funeral for someone I never met?” Wednesday asked slowly, before quickly following up with, “Of course I do.” That settled that ordeal. When Tyler had deemed the cafe to be empty for a long enough period of time, he switched the small sign on the door to ‘closed,’ and set off with Wednesday by his side. Was he allowed to close the shop by himself? Not necessarily, but no one was there to tell him otherwise; even if they did, he wouldn’t care all that much.

~~

“She was…a lovely woman.” The words cut off with a cry of anguish, so heavy the crowd began tearing up alongside the man at the podium.