Six

Sounds of buzzing occupied the misty air, the scent of soft honey overflowing throughout the room.

There sat a familiar nerdy boy, with curly black hair and thick glasses in desperate need of some cleaning. Eugene had missed most of the drama the day prior but got the gist of it from Enid. To be completely honest, Eugene was happy to have any conversation with the blonde at all; drama or no drama. He may or may not have still liked her, but it wasn't something he could convey in words.

To say he was shocked about what was happening with Wednesday was an understatement. At first, he didn’t want to believe it. But the more he thought about it, the more he knew there had to be an underlying reason for Wednesday to bring Tyler back into her life. He knew more than anyone that she wouldn’t connect with people she didn’t deem necessary.

The relationship between Eugene and Wednesday was a nice one. Wednesday viewed Eugene as a younger brother and was always quick to defend him. It stopped him from getting bullied, which he would forever be grateful for. But away from that, he had been waiting for the right time to talk to Wednesday. He wanted to hear her side of the story. Not that he hadn’t believed Enid, but Enid seemed very frantic when she called him to explain what happened, so it was obvious she needed time to cool down, and she hadn't let Wednesday explain anything, so it could have been a huge misunderstanding.

At the same time, he couldn’t deny he was a bit upset at first without full context. Eugene was afraid of Tyler. He hadn’t met with him face-to-face, but he didn’t need to. The way he was described to Eugene, especially by Enid, was enough to get him freaked out. Hence the reason he didn’t reach out to Wednesday first. While yes, he did want to talk to her, he didn’t want her to bring around Tyler whatsoever. At least for a little while, until he could calm down and mentally prepare himself.

But lady luck was not on Eugene’s side.

“Eugene?” The familiar drab voice of Wednesday called from outside the beekeeping shed, causing Eugene to leap from his seat. He hadn’t seen her in forever and was glad she reached out. For the most part. As long as there was no Tyler, he’d be fine…!!!

“So this was the guy Enid was talking about earlier?” Tyler recalled back to Enid’s comment about how this Eugene guy and she got Wednesday a gift.

The sound of a foreign voice caused him to tense up, assuming it was Tyler after all. Eugene just put on a brave face, lifted his shoulders to seem tougher, and strutted out the door in the most “intimidating” way ever. In reality, he looked like he was about to tumble over. Wednesday shot him an odd look at the way he was presenting himself but didn’t comment on it. Tyler just gave a swift nod in acknowledgment, Eugene doing it back but too quickly that it didn’t look like a nod, but rather that he was aggressively agreeing with something someone said.

“Are you feeling alright?” Wednesday took note of how odd Eugene was acting. That was saying something because Eugene was always a bit odd to her but in the most endearing way possible, of course. “Yep! Yeah, coolio.” Eugene smiled, trying his best not to make eye contact with Tyler. “What brings you two here?” He then continued, trying his best to cover up his awkwardness. He pushed up his glasses, and Tyler almost had to fight the urge to laugh. It wasn’t in the way that he was making fun of Eugene, but rather just found it amusing how Eugene was trying to convey himself.

“We were wanting to know if you’ve seen anything weird lately. Specifically in the woods.” Wednesday brought up the topic, but she didn’t dare bring up why. If she had mentioned they had found a severed finger, Eugene would freak out. “I don’t think so…” Eugene trailed off, thinking back on the last while to himself. “Nope! Why?” Wednesday fought the urge to sigh. “Disregard it.” She continued while turning her heel. “See you," Tyler flashed Eugene a smile, and Eugene weakly smiled back. “Yeah…”