Eight

Note: ⚠️⚠️ means smut started and ended.

What are you staring at this time?”

Wednesday had been intently staring at the newest gift box for the last five minutes as the two sat on her bed, her eyes curiously scanning not only the human teeth but the note as well. She also had the note from the previous ‘gift.’ “I want to compare data.” Tyler looked down at the box, then at her. “With?” Wednesday shot him a look like she was irritated by having to explain herself, however, she continued, “The handwriting. There’s a chance this is meaningless, and the killer could have staged their handwriting, but we have nothing to lose.” Plus, she hated sitting around doing nothing at all.

It wasn’t that Wednesday felt inclined to figure out this killer for the safety of the town. Wednesday and Tyler’s study was purely out of interest and the fact her name was attached to it. This was the kind of thing that kept her up at night theorizing. So while yes, she felt like someone was dancing circles around her, she was left with a sense of commitment to the case.

“What would you compare it with? Do you expect something’s just going to randomly appear?” As they spoke, Enid entered the dorm room, peering over at them “What are you two looking at?” She bounced over towards the two, and Wednesday quickly closed the box before she could take a look inside. Seeing as the last time she had merely explained a crime scene and Enid fainted, Wednesday didn’t want to see how she would react to real human remains.

“Oh, come on! Let me see, please?” Enid didn’t want to feel left out, but at the same time, the pair knew Enid would not want to be included in something like this. Wednesday simply sighed, carefully pulling out the second note without revealing the teeth. “You’ve heard about the new serial killer, correct?” Enid was quick to nod, “Yeah, it’s like, all over social media!”

“Well, I’ve been receiving notes from them.”

Enid’s face dropped, her attitude swiftly changing. “Really? Wednesday, are you sure?” The black-haired girl’s expression hadn’t faltered, even after explaining how she was a killer’s person of interest. “Positive.” Enid shot a look at Tyler, quickly looking away afterward, “So…What are you going to do?” She was concerned for her friend’s safety and wanted to know what the next step was for Wednesday. Wednesday hadn’t wanted to share this information with others, but after going through so much together, she decided to confide in her. “Our intention is to compare handwriting to see if anything matches this killer.” She showed the slip of paper, the word ‘Trust’ to Enid, who stared at the scrap for a long while, seemingly lost in thought.

By the time she had come to, both Tyler and Wednesday were giving her strange looks. “I think I’ve seen similar writing to this before.”

“Show me.” Wednesday urged Enid, handing back the paper before leading the way out of the dorm. The walk there was relatively silent, and by the time they had made it down to the first floor, Enid suddenly stopped in front of a random classroom. “There's a bunch of students who leave their homework on the ground after class.” Enid pushed the door open, the class void of any teachers or students. This was presumably the class Enid had in the first period, English, to be precise.

There were only around five sheets of uncompleted homework the trio was able to salvage, but that was more than enough. Wednesday set them all side by side, putting the scraps of paper at the very top. It had taken at least three minutes before Tyler pointed towards the fourth paper, setting one of the notes next to it. “Look what we have here.” He began trailing the letters toward the words written down on the half-completed homework. The letters matched almost perfectly. “Isn’t there a chance these people just write the same?” Enid inquired, to which Wednesday ignored for a few moments, contemplating her only theories.