Eleven

Sure you won’t miss me too much?”

“You think too highly of yourself.”

It was a Friday afternoon, and the sun painted its orange and red colors into the sky, leaving an orange glow towards anything it touched. Wednesday would have preferred to watch the night sky and the stars above, but she could make do with the scenery until later that night. Tyler had been discussing going to stay with his father for a few days, (Donovan’s request,) and after a quick conversation between Tyler and Wednesday, he decided he should just go. It was his dad, and even if some things were iffy, Tyler still needed to prove he was worth protecting. One wrong move and his father could reveal everything. Sure, that would damage his dad's reputation in the process, but that didn't mean he wouldn't still do it if given a good reason to.

His dad was surprisingly normal about the whole thing. Maybe it was because he didn’t want to admit to himself, or to Tyler, about what his son really was. His wife, and now him? Both being what they are, Hydes, never ceased to keep him up at night. Donovan had consistently blamed himself for what happened to Tyler, even if it was out of his grasp, far from anything in his reach. If he had only been there for him more, Donovan wondered if he still would have gotten to the point he did.

Why Donovan covered for Tyler that one night was simple enough. Desperation to have his child back, love, and guilt. Despite Xavier being released, police quickly found another person to suspect, which was easy to keep the media quiet. Although the case went nowhere after that, nobody seemed to want to pursue it with the new killer at large. In fact, without the townsfolk or the rest of the police force knowing the truth, everyone was under the suspicion the original killer (Tyler), was the one committing these new murders. They weren’t stupid to believe that with how well everything had been covered up.

The partial reason why Sheriff Galpin was constantly inviting Tyler over so often was to see if his son was connected to the murders. He tried to compare murder days, to the days his son was over at his home. So far, all the days he was at home, were also the days someone was murdered. It didn’t completely leave him in the clear, but in Donovan’s mind, Tyler hadn’t killed anyone recently, and he wanted it to stay that way.

Tyler had packed his one measly blue suitcase, just enough clothes for two days, which were already packed away into his car. He was so thankful that he could drive, it made everything so much easier, and every area more accessible.

Wednesday was going to take full control of the opportunity with him gone for a bit. She would have more time dedicated to personal matters, especially when it came to the case with Enid. It wasn’t like Tyler got in her way, but she found it much easier to think when he couldn’t distract her. Whenever he said something flirtatious or when the two had an ‘argument,’ it always put her mind on hold for a bit.

“Oh, and before I go, Wednesday.” He took hold of her right hand, facing her palm upward and open, before he dropped something onto her hand. She clutched her hand around it, before taking a look. It was a small, golden key, with a small note attached to a string wrapped around it. “What is this?” Tyler beamed, “For my dorm room. Just for when you start missing me.” Wednesday almost handed him the key back, but she kept it. She slid it into her pocket, “The probability of me ever needing this is close to 0.” The brunette just kept that aggravating smirk on his face, “Maybe.” If she even considered using it, that was a win for him.

“When are you coming back?” Wednesday suddenly asked as he went to turn around. “Monday morning.” The pause made him sigh, and he turned heel again, giving her a quick, tight hug that almost left her needing air. He continued, “See you. Don’t get into too much trouble without me. You always have my number, update me if anything happens, okay?” She nodded, and with that, he was off.