Fourteen

Another day meant another morning Wednesday woke up extremely early, ‘Thing’ laid motionless on the end of her bed, seemingly resting himself. Wednesday decided to overlook the school through the balcony of her dorm, just sitting there, admiring the way the cool breeze flew past her, her mind void of anything besides what she was watching. Orange leaves blew onto the balcony, littering the ground surrounding her. Wednesday enjoyed the sight, as much as she didn’t like to stop to admire things, she needed some fresh air to think. Besides, since it was cool enough, it was the perfect weather for her.

When it had gotten late enough for her to get up and walk around without waking up everyone surrounding her, she decided to get ready in her uniform and go downstairs to either speak to Tyler or Eugene, depending on who she came across first. However, she felt a sense of heavy trepidation as she reached the door, her hand resting upon the door knob for at least a minute before she opened it, confused when she saw nothing there. She stepped out of the room when her foot collided with a bump on the floor, a small, red-colored package greeted her.

Her eyes flashed to Enid, who was soundly sleeping in her bed, making random conversation with herself in her sleep. Picking up the box carefully, she noted how incredibly light it seemed, almost as if nothing was in it at all. Ripping the paper quietly, a cardboard box revealed itself, the top of it open so she was able to immediately see inside. A single photo lay in the bottom of the box, a photo of a woman.

Picking up the photo triggered a vision of Wednesday’s, body jolting backward, yet she was unaware of it.

While the vision didn’t start off vicious, much like the others, it quickly turned into one. Wednesday was seeing through the eyes of someone, their face pressed up against someone's shoulder as the two embraced. It was innocent in nature, the two people discussing some plans for the day. Although a sudden shift was made in one of their reactions. It was the person Wednesday was watching the scene through.

They suddenly grabbed ahold of something in their pocket, raising it up and…

“Wednesday? Wednesday?!” Wednesday jolted up, her heart racing and sweat causing her bangs to stick to her forehead. Only unlike she assumed, nobody was there. Enid was still fast asleep, her hands clutching a new stuffed plush she had gotten, peacefully smiling to herself about what she was imagining in a dream.

Wednesday took a glance down at the photo of the woman. She was beautiful, with green eyes and black hair. She looked really just like anyone else, same style and posture. In the front, was a golden retriever puppy, who seemed to want to be in the photo too, since his little head was peeking up from the corner.

She was the woman she had just watched be killed.

~~

“This is the final time I’m coming out here.”

“I know what I saw. It should be right around…”

Wednesday trailed off in the middle of her sentence, the sight of a red shirt catching her attention. It was on the ground, so she began heading over towards it, only to be hit with this putrid smell. The sweet smell of death.

Her eyes trailed down toward a body that was lying in the woods, the body was lying on its back, sitting right next to a fairly large tree. She had been right. So, incredibly right. Wednesday took a few steps closer, her hands shaking with anticipation. Was this a new clue to the case? Tyler stayed behind her, curiously peering down at the body.

This woman, the same as the photo earlier, was undoubtedly murdered and now in front of them. She seemed to be stabbed to death, and while her face was stuck in a horrified expression of sorts, her eyes were shut. It didn’t seem natural though, almost as if this killer had some respect for the dead. Wednesday agreed with that decision.