Eighteen

Death was always such a simple idea to Wednesday. An intricate yet unavoidable way of life. It was such a delicate subject that she couldn’t help but love it, however, the disconnect between the living and the deceased was greatly hindering her daily life. After Vincent had died, she believed it would have made the investigation easier, but in actuality, it severed the connection she could have used to find the actual killer. Overall, she was disappointed with how the case was turning up, until only a few days after Christmas. Everyone was dealing with the after-effects of Christmas which included cleaning up decorations and wishing they could redo the jolliest day of the year, except one girl in particular. Wednesday was already completely over the holiday spirit (although one could argue she was never in the spirit at all), and since then, her focus had been one hundred percent on the murderous case with her name written all over it. Tyler had seen the way Wednesday got when solving cases, and even with his concerns about her lack of sleep, he let her continue with his full support. It was admirable how the girl would get so immersed in her work that she couldn’t do anything else before finishing it.
Wednesday had let herself get a full night's rest once she realized sleep deprivation would do nothing but hinder her investigation, and that to Tyler was good enough because he realized her lack of attention span when she hadn’t slept. When she wasn’t trying to find more clues, she was writing her novel or hanging out with Tyler per his request, so she found herself with little to no free time at all, which came as sad news to her friends, and Xavier. Wednesday was obsessed with this case, and she wouldn’t stop until she got the answers she wanted, because, to her, that was the most important thing.

Today was much like the others, Wednesday was in her room alongside Tyler with her evidence board filled to the brim that all connected back to Vincent and the mysterious person he worked for. The boxes which had been used to transport the fingers of the deceased lay at her feet, and the smell of that strong scented candle had started to cause a huge headache. She was spending large amounts of her day attempting to piece together whatever she could, but she didn’t like writing her ideas down for she was worried her ideas could be found by someone else. Besides, looks could fool anyone at Nevermore as a result of shape-shifting, so she could never leave anything valuable out even if everyone looked safe enough.

“Why don’t we go somewhere for lunch?” Tyler inquired from Wednesday’s bed after an hour of them hanging out in there, sitting up with a yawn and looking over to the board of evidence he had seen millions of times before, even though no new information was there since the last time he had seen it. To him, it was all repetitive and going nowhere. But to Wednesday, she viewed that board as a mystery waiting to be solved as soon as she figured out where to look. Wednesday merely waved him off with such blatant disregard that Tyler was finally coming to terms that they needed to figure something out since this wasn’t working for him. “Come on, I can’t be cooped up in here all day,” Tyler complained with a groan, although Wednesday still didn’t reply.

“I’m tired of just staring at this board all day. At least talk to me.” Tyler stood up quickly, annoyed with the way Wednesday was acting, and in doing so, he knocked over a few things that were sitting on her bedside table, one of which included the candle and some paper. The sound of glass shattering immediately caught Wednesday’s attention, her gaze shifting onto the ground surrounding the annoyed hyde. “Now you look?” Tyler grumbled while stepping away from the glass, suddenly grateful for wearing his shoes indoors. “I’m not keen on setting my room ablaze just yet.” Wednesday walked towards the candle, hitting the flame with an article of clothing Enid had on the ground, which thankfully put out the flames. In doing so, a small piece of tinfoil emerged from the rubble, and Tyler picked it up, staring curiously at the shimmering tinfoil since he wasn’t expecting anything to come out of the candle wax. Wednesday was then reminded of Enid’s gushing the day she bought it and heard her voice in her mind. “It has jewelry inside!” Tyler unwrapped the tinfoil to reveal a beautiful, shiny ring. Wednesday grabbed it from him, about to throw it over towards Enid’s side of the room when she noticed the faintest red spot on it. Suddenly, Wednesday lost control of her body as a vision clouded her senses, and she dropped to the floor just before Tyler could reach out to grab her. It seemed her visions had become more and more frequent, and as unpleasant as they were to experience, they were helping quite a bit with the investigation, so she wouldn’t complain.