Sixteen

After Enid and Wednesday’s conversation, Wednesday’s mind was still fixated on the slip-up The fact Enid had forgotten something she was so adamant on, the snood, left Wednesday wondering if Enid was even….Enid. It wasn’t farfetched to think, given the mysteries that had already occurred, that something had happened to the real her. At the same time, it was hard to come to terms that someone who she thought was her best friend for months, may not even be the real her. Every conversation, and interaction, would have been meaningless. Wednesday had tried putting it off, for now, she had enough to worry about. Namely, her parents.

When it struck six o’clock, everyone met outside for their main meal in the courtyard. Even if it was winter, and cold, no one seemed to protest eating outside. There were mini fire pits around to provide enough heat, which may have contributed to it. On the way to dinner, Wednesday felt a hand on her shoulder, which caused her to tense up, whipping around to see who it was, only to be met with Tyler, who started to laugh at her reaction. He moved to her right side, walking beside her. “Is your father adjusting well to Nevermore?” Wednesday asked, noting his dad was nowhere to be found. “Adjusting? No. Accepting? Yes. He asked me too many questions about you, though.” Wednesday expected that. “Enlighten me.”

“Asked if I knew your intentions in the relationship and if I was safe.” Wednesday smiled a bit, “Safe? Odd question considering you’re attending Nevermore.” Nevermore wasn’t exactly known for keeping its students safe. “You can say that again,” Tyler spoke with another laugh, his gaze landing on the yard as they approached. It was obvious Wednesday hadn’t been wanting to attend the gathering at all, based on the sudden change in her posture. “Go on.” He commented, gesturing for her to keep walking. “I don’t find a point in meaningless social gatherings…” She mumbled back, although she unwillingly made her way towards her family's table, Pugsley shooting her a relieved glance at her arrival.

Wednesday knew that look all too well, it meant her parents were doing something embarrassing. Of course, she had to know what that meant this time. Upon looking over, she saw her parents kissing without a care in the world, quite passionately at that, and she immediately looked away with disgust. Sheriff Galpin was even next to them, his face contorted to embarrassment as he tried looking anywhere but beside him. He also seemed very grateful to see his son. “Tyler.” Donovan began, trying to signal to the two making out beside him that someone was there. They finally stopped and snapped back to reality, Wednesday shooting her parents a glare.

Wednesday and Tyler sat down beside each other, opposite their parents, and to the right of Pugsley, who had already begun eating his dinner. “So, Tyler,” Morticia began, lightly picking at the food that had been prepared for her. “We would like to extend an invitation, yourself and Sheriff Galpin included, to visit our home for the new year.” Wednesday almost choked on her food, eyes shooting up to look at her mother like she had gone mad. It was one thing to have Tyler hang out with her family at Nevermore during the holidays, but for him to come to visit her home? That would include him meeting the rest of her family, which didn’t sound pleasing. “Really?” Donovan shot a look at his son, trying to see how he would reply. “That would be great. I’m sure your home is lovely.” Since when did he ever use the word ‘lovely?’ Wednesday also snuck a glance beside her, but he didn’t look back.

Dinner went by quickly, Donovan attempted light conversations with Morticia and Gomez, and they happily obliged conversation. Pugsley asked questions Wednesday regarding how she liked school and expressed how he missed her, although her mind was primarily focused elsewhere. It was only when Tyler leaned in, that she began paying more attention. Tyler was so close to her, she could feel his breath against her ear while he spoke lowly, “I have a surprise for you.” Again with the surprises. He knew she hated them. He was wording it like that on purpose, and she hated it.