Nine

It was a Wednesday night, a week and a half after the latest discoveries. Wednesday was buried deep, she felt like she was digging through a coffin. And not literally this time. Being back at Nevermore seemed like a blessing on the outside. Outstanding education, loads of outcasts, and the like. But to Wednesday, it was no more than a curse in disguise. Nevermore was one of the key points she needed in order to get anything done, which meant it was necessary for the scenario, but she wasn’t all sure how she felt about being back. It offered her a place to stay while she investigated, and allowed her to stay near Tyler and the others, so in some regards, it wasn’t all that bad.

Throughout the week and a half, no murders had continued. The serial killer had vanished without a trace. No kills, no notes, and no clues. It felt torturous to leave Wednesday without updates at this point, but this didn’t cause any setbacks. She still pursued the case, ‘Thing’ by her side for most days that she spent either typing away on her latest novel or looking through the school for any traces of a suspect.

Unfortunately, nothing came up.

Wednesday was currently in her room, Enid gushing about something Ajax had said to her as Wednesday tuned her out, staring at the three-wicked candle currently burning on her desk. The scent of soft cinnamon and vanilla danced around the room, it carried a bit of a calming effect. Through her raving, the conversation seemed to switch though, Enid abruptly setting her phone down to speak to Wednesday personally, rather than just saying things in hope of catching her attention at one point.

“Wednesday? Can we talk about something?”

Wednesday looked up from her typewriter, toward Enid whose expression was unnaturally calm. “About?” She asked back, and Enid grabbed ahold of her pillow, crossing her legs and hugging it tightly against herself. “Tyler.” Wednesday wasn’t sure where to go with that. Especially after what happened just a little while ago. Not that she was going to mention that to Enid, though. “Go on.”

“Why did you forgive him? After everything, he almost killed you! And me! He put all of us in danger, and hearing you and him were back at Nevermore together, I just…I don’t know.” Enid rambled, her chin meeting the top of the pillow. “Who told you?” Wednesday avoided the questions she was met with. Not because she didn’t want to; but because she didn’t know. She wasn’t sure what made her forgive him, it was nothing but morbid curiosity that brought the two of them back together, the kind Enid would never understand. Interest was a large portion of what brought them together. Wednesday wanted to know what made Tyler, well, Tyler. Tyler wanted to know how she worked. Specifically, why Wednesday was the way she was, and how she calculated her answers for her actions. She was unapologetic, blunt, and sarcastic, all of the things he loved in others. It was interesting, and he wanted to see more.

Enid seemed to hesitate, her hand twirling strands of her blonde hair around her finger, “Xavier.” She mumbled, yet it was loud enough for her to hear. Xavier. Of course, it was Xavier.

“He wouldn’t dare try to kill you. Or Xavier, or Eugene. I promise that.” Wednesday Addams didn’t like breaking promises.

“How can you be so sure…?”

“Because if that were to occur, I would murder him myself.”

~~

“One shot of expresso.” Tyler was back to his after-school shifts at Weathervane, it was a miracle he could balance school, this case, and then work, but he made it happen. The trips down to the town were also necessary, he regularly went to visit his dad. He may have had a changed mindset and new morals, but he was still aware enough that his dad covered for him and stuck to it, and he would continue to remember whenever he visited.