Five

It was just a couple of hours after they had gone shopping, and Wednesday was busy doing her own thing back in her dorm room to pass the time. This night, in particular, she decided to practice the cello, since she hadn’t been able to for a while and didn’t plan on getting rusty. She hadn’t heard much from Tyler since earlier that day, which she didn’t particularly mind as she also enjoyed her solitude every once in a while. Tyler, on the other hand, was waiting for the time he’d see her again.

When Tyler’s tour of the school finally ended, he set off toward his dorm room, planning on taking a shower when he found Wednesday already in there, sitting at his desk with her typewriter, writing away, the sound of the keys seemingly growing louder by the second. Her mind was still focused primarily on the case. It had become an obsession of hers. Her name was attached to these killings, she had to be the one to figure it all out. Tyler just leaned against the doorframe, wondering if the girl would even acknowledge his presence. Unsurprisingly, she didn’t. But he didn’t immediately start up a conversation, rather let the silence play out as he stared at her.

It wasn’t to be creepy or weird, in fact, quite the opposite. He just liked seeing her.

“What’s with the surprise visit?”

“You had my notes.” He wondered if she left them there on purpose as an excuse to come back.

“Right.” He let out a soft sigh, setting his textbooks on the ground beside his bed, and heading over towards her, standing behind her to watch what she was typing about. Only this seemed to be more of a novel than clues. “What is this?” Wednesday didn’t skip a beat, “Nothing of importance to you.” She spun around in the chair, suddenly facing Tyler, and stood up, the two now dangerously close to one another.

She looked up at him, the act itself making her internally grumble. She didn’t like how much taller he was, she felt small compared to him. “You’re staring.” He said suddenly, that annoying smile on his face. Wednesday narrowed her eyes as if to challenge him, and he held back a laugh. “I wasn’t meaning it in a bad way, Wednesday. In fact…” He leaned his head in closer, “I like it.” Never had she had someone talk to her with the same courage he had. He was well aware of how dangerous she was, and she didn’t forget how dangerous he was. Both had a hostility that was evident in almost all of their bickering, yet they always found themselves in the midst of another conversation soon afterward.

And now they were dating. She allowed the label, and he couldn’t wait to shove it right in Xavier’s face.

“You risk an early expiration for the sake of being around me. Why?” Tyler shrugged, one of his hands going to play with a strand of hair coming out of her braids. “I don’t think I need to explain myself.” Wednesday lightly pushed at his chest, gesturing for him to follow her after he saw the look he was receiving at first. She also took the typewriter with her. “Full of surprises.” He mumbled under his breath, heading off towards the spot Wednesday decided to bring him to. It seemed to be a dorm room. “Is this yours?” He asked as they stepped inside, the two halves of the room being painfully opposite. He could tell which one was hers. Setting down the typewriter, Wednesday headed off to look out the window as Tyler decided to take a look around. Whoever her dorm mate was, she was obviously into colorful things and stuffed animals. He had never seen a collection that big before.

Tyler decided to look through a few things, Wednesday having not much to hide. She appreciated the fact Tyler would put everything back exactly how it came if he went to analyze it, unlike Enid who once rummaged around because she had lost her lipstick. How she thought it was on Wednesday’s side of the room, was beyond her. Tyler had set everything back in its correct spots before speaking up, “You have a pretty cool room, Wednesday.” Without turning around, she replied, “I know.”