chapter 10

gus' pov

i'd hardly slept the last 3 days, i hadn't heard from jj, or layla for that matter. i understand why jj is mad, i really do but i never meant to hurt her this isn't what i wanted to happen. if she did have to find out this was the worst way possible.

my phone buzzed on the wooden table, startling me with the sound. my hand flew towards my phone, praying it was something i wanted to hear.

layla
congratulations dad
it's a girl btw 💗

i felt the world stop around me. my heart plunged into my stomach, i felt completely paralyzed in place. my phone dropped from my hand, clattering on the ground.

i couldn't believe what i just read. there was no way. i was in complete shock, and complete disbelief. i'm not ready for this, i don't even want this.

i didn't know what to do, or who to call. the only person i needed right now is refusing to speak to me.

i'm not even sure how long i say there for. time literally stopped while i sat in frozen panic.

eventually, i snapped out of it.  i know she doesn't want to see me but i didn't know what else to do. i walked to my car panicked and stumbling.

as soon as i heard the engine turn over i began to speed to jj's building. the whole drive felt blacked out, i don't even know if half those traffic lights were green or not.

i knew what building she lived in, but she'd never actually had me inside so i didn't even know what unit she lived in. i desperately pushed every buzzer, waiting for her to answer.

"jj?"
"sorry, wrong unit"

"jj?"
"not me sorry"

"jj?"
"who?"

"jj?"
"uh no, but i'll let her know someone's here"

an unfamiliar female voice answered through the speaker box. i'm assuming it was one of her roommates. she didn't talk about them much.

the door buzzed, signalling it had been unlocked for me to come in. i got on the elevator to the 12th floor. i paced the small elevator back and forth while it rose. 

i stood at her door, overhearing her talk to whoever i had talked to.

jj's pov

"someone was buzzing for you by the way" alex told me. "who?" i asked, i wasn't expecting anyone. "i don't know. some guy" she said. i just shrugged, no one had knocked or anything.

"i'm late, gotta head out" alex told me, putting things in her bag while walking out the door. "bye" i said to her.

i went to close the door behind her, i caught a glimpse of someone in the hallway. "gus?" i asked as our eyes locked. "what are you doing here, i don't want to talk to you" i told him, turning around to shut the door.

he lunged forward, putting his foot in the door to stop me. "please, wait. just a few minutes please i have no one else and i really need talk to you" he begged. i looked at him blankly, waiting for him
to move. "please" he said, his voice cracked a little, i could tell tears were starting to form in his eyes, rapidly blinking to keep them from falling.

"fine" i gave in, opening the door for him.

i showed him to my room, sitting on the bed. "what is is?" i asked.

he opened his mouth to speak, no words coming out. be unlocked his phone, throwing it across the bed to me.

layla
congratulations dad
it's a girl btw💗

my heart sunk. i tried so hard to believe it couldn't be true. "why are you showing me this, i don't wanna think about this" i told him, tossing his phone back to him.

"i don't know. i don't know who else to go to. jj please, i don't want this. i want nothing to do with this. i don't know what to do. i want you i want us" he pleaded, a single tear falling down his cheek.

"okay" i sighed.

"gus, i love you, but i didn't sign up to play step mommy. i don't really know how you want me to react to this, i still can't believe you lied to me about her" i told him.

"i know. i just don't know what to do" his voice full of sheer panic.

"okay, just breathe for a minute" i told him, moving to sit closer to him.

"i really don't want to do this. i can't do this. especially with her" he cried.

"that's between you and her" i told him. i really felt useless in this situation.

i let his his head fall onto my shoulder. i felt his phone vibrate on the bed beside my leg.

"your phone" i pointed out.

he raised an eyebrow looking at the number, picking up anyways.

"hello?" he asked.

"hello, is gus there?" someone on the other line asked.

"speaking" he said.

"hello gus, this is dr. russell calling from the obstetrics clinic, can i have you confirm your name and date of birth for me?" she asked.

"uh yeah, gustav ahr, november 1st, '96" he told her.

"great thank you, i'm just calling to let you know that the lab test results for your paternity specimen have been completed, and it was not a paternal match" the dr spoke.

"what? like it's not my kid? she was lying?" he asked, shocked and a little angry.

"i can't comment on personal situations but i can confirm that you are not the father of this baby" she confirmed.

"thank you" he told her, clicking the end call button.

he looked at me in shock, and the feeling was mutual.

"she was lying?" i asked, "well, i believe the doctor over her" he said.

gus opened his phone, typing rapidly

gus to layla
the doc just called
you absolutely crazy fucking cunt
don't ever talk to me again or try to pull anything like that

gus blocked layla