chapter 2

"i'm back with your orders" i told the table, placing each item down in front of the right person. "thank you" echoed from around the table as each cup hit the table. i looked directly at gus as i placed his drink down. it was definitely him. this was ridiculous. "is there anything else i can grab you guys?" i asked.

"uh yeah" gus spoke up. "can i get an order of mozzarella sticks?" he asked. "of course" i smiled, writing the order down to put in. "thanks" he smiled. i walked back to the kitchen and put in the order slip. i watched the table from the window of the kitchen. i could just barely see them, but they couldn't see me.

the girl beside gus was quite petite and littered with tattoos as well. her hair was short and black. judging by the way she was crawling all over him, never taking her hands off of him gave me a pretty good hunch that this was his girlfriend. i hadn't dated anyone since gus. it's been long, and lonely.

losing him made me realize a lot. most importantly that i loved him and haven't loved anyone since. the biggest lesson i learned was my attitude. i had to her over myself to get anywhere in life. this wasn't my world but i was living in it, and it was time for me to become a part of it. 

looking back, did i treat gus well? no, not really. he deserved so much better than what i gave him. gus was heaven sent with a heart of gold. i never thought i would see him again. honestly, it was a bit upsetting. it was much easier to suffocate my feelings when he was states away. out of sight, out of mind. but now he was here, at my table and all of the memories, feelings, and thoughts i've fostered the past few years came rushing back to me.

he'd moved on and found someone else. that's okay. i wouldn't have expected different. most of all i want him to be happy. i didn't give that to him, even though he gave me everything. i owe him everything too, he was the reason i am who i am today. he inspired my change.

"order up!" the chef yelled, sliding the plate of mozzarella sticks at me. "thanks ty" i said, grabbing the plate. on my way out of the kitchen i took the little container of marinara sauce and threw it in the garbage. gus hated tomatoes, he always got rid of it anyways. i walked back across the restaurant to the table. i wasn't sure who most of the people there were, or how he knew them. i didn't even know what he was up to nowadays.

"moz sticks for you" i said, placing the plate down in-front of him. "thank you" he smiled. "everyone still doing okay?" i asked the table. "yes" they responded basically simultaneously. "perfect. i'll be back to check on you guys in a bit" i told them.

i missed that boy. i missed him so much. it was aching. i'd never have someone like him again. there was no one else like him. i could never love anyone how i loved him. even if i didn't show it to him properly. i owe him one million apologies that would still never make up the way i treated him.

i took my 15 minute break while he was eating. i used the time to dig deep into the archives of my phone, pulling up photos of gus and i. we both looked so young. his tattoos were half of what they were now. his hair was black and pink the picture and mine was bright pink. thank god i had outgrown my pink hair phase, i lived life as a brunette currently.

of course he was smiling. i smiled looking at the picture, it was contagious. i of course looked miserable. i can't really blame anyone but myself for the way i was. well, maybe a hint of it can be on my parents.

my trip down memory lane ended when my 15 minutes was up. i went back to go check on my table. "can i get anything else for you guys?" i asked. "we'll just grab the bills" the guy across from gus said. "all separate?" i asked. the group nodded.

i went back to the office to properly sort and organize the stack of bills. i brought the debit machine back with me and gave everyone their proper slip. i waited patiently for everyone to complete their transactions, giving my thanks as they got up to leave.

i went around the table to pick up all of the receipt copies. i almost missed it, but on the one at gus' spot was a note scribbled in black ink on the back of the paper.

jj?... no way
thanks for remembering no sauce

my # : xxx-xxx-xxxx
gus