Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Bre's POV

It's been 12 years since the last time I've seen Jonathan. I mean I've been to games to support Marian, but never spoken to Jonathan since. Tyler is now 13 going on 14. The only reason we are going back to Chicago is because of his birthday, and Marian is finally retiring from the NHL. Me and Tyler live in Norris Lake, Tennessee, and yes Tyler has Down syndrome, but he does not seem like he does. He's so smart and outgoing, just like every teenager. He even has a girlfriend! Which makes me nervous, but she's a very sweet girl.

We've just landed in Chicago and we are waiting for Marian to pick us up. He soon rolls up in a black truck and comes around to greet us.

"How was your guy's flight?" He asks as he and Tyler put the luggage into the back.

"It was really bumpy and it made me feel really sick, oh and tired." Tyler told Marian.

"Alright, well just get in the back and try to catch a nap, it takes a bit to get to my house." Marian fluffs Tyler's hair until Tyler runs into the truck. I laugh and get in the passenger seat.

"How are you?" Marian asks as we get onto the highway.

"I've been fine. Been busy with work, and Tyler's school, but other than that I've been doing good. How have you been?" I asked him. I look out the window and just smile because Chicago is so beautiful.

"I have been doing great. Pat is gonna take my place as alternate captain next season, and obviously Jon is still the captain because he's always the captain." As soon as he says that he looks over at me with guilt on his face.

"What? You can talk about Jon. How is he doing?" I ask him, interested.

"He's.. He's been Jonny." He stutters. I raise my eyebrow at him, skeptical.

"What do you mean by that. He has a girlfriend doesn't he? You can tell me what's going on with him, I don't care." I lie. He hesitated for a bit.

"He's had many girlfriends over the years but he hasn't settled down. He hasn't seen anyone for the past year. He.. He's still hung up on Tyler... Mainly you, though." He stutters again. I look down at my hands.

" Of course he misses his son, he hasn't seen him in probably 9 years, but hey that's his fault. Not mine. He wanted us gone, so we left." I told Marian. I am so glad Tyler fell asleep.

"Bre, you probably don't believe this but he still cries over you, a lot at that. He misses you guys so incredibly much. He even moved in with Pat and Sarah for heaven sakes. He couldn't stand to be in a house that reminded him of you. He is so hurt and heart broken, Bre. I know you are too. But just understand he still loves you very much. He even stalks you on Twitter and Instagram. Same with Tyler. He misses you guys so much Bre." He tells me. I quickly wipe the stray tears that fall from my eyes.

"I miss him so much, Marian. It kills me inside, because Tyler always tell me to either call him or date other men. But he's the only man I want. He's the only man I need. And I screwed it up royally and I hate myself for that everyday. I beat myself up." I confess to him. He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"I know you do. Hopefully this trip will help mend you both together again." He smiles.

"Yeah." I mumble.

(Tyler's birthday and the Hawks game)

"Happy birthday baby. I love you very much. Are you excited about the game tonight? Marian got you glass seats! Isn't that so cool?" I asked Tyler as he was getting ready.

"Yes mom. It is. Are you excited to see my dad?" He asked. I knew what he was doing, trying to make me feel guilty.

"Your dad will be happy to see you! Especially on your 14th birthday. He misses you. So don't be rude to him, okay?" I tell him. He nods and goes into the bathroom.