Chapter 83 The Unsettled

<Innsbruck>

"We were to discuss the terms of surrender! Unhand me! I protest! I protest!"

The Count was a man of normal stature but with a rather peculiar face. His chin was jutted out with a rather obtuse stub and his eyes weren't aligned within the normal symmetry range. One eye was higher than the other. Those two misaligned eyes were now bugling from his purple face.

"How did you marry in, Adalbert?" Cain's eyes flared over. His anger simmered, trapped by creosote, tar formed by smoke from chimney fires. "You took pleasure in your action! Your collusion! My disciple! My-"

"Enough!" Frederick burst through the doors of the Count's office. It was a small place with no decorations beyond two tapestries and the obligatory family portraits. One might even call it a prison if there were a cot. The windows were too rusted to be opened and the smell of bloody iron was enough to kill a child. "We're lucky to have captured this city with casualties. Blood unspilt! A chance at diplomacy and you let your past obstruct peace?"

Cain winced as Frederick crushed his wrist. The Count toppled to the floor gasping for air. It was freshest there, with no dust and muck. One look at him and no one could tell that he was a noble. He didn't have the dignity or the clothes. Rags with holes sewed by the cheapest of linen covered his body.

"Uncle you've gone too far," Frederick growled.

Adalbert shivered as he recovered. He felt like a rabbit under two bears. Their stench was that of matting fur, of power. Their claws hovered just above his weak body. The desk cracked under the maelstrom of energy that howled between the two. Every second cemented him into the floor like a brick block.

"I'll leave him to you." Cain barked before storming off. Every step he took sent tremors throughout the manor. The guards, the servants, and the children cowered as if the stormiest of blizzards had swept through their house.

"I'm sorry, my uncle-"

"You can never trust the brute to keep a cool head. Him as Overseer? Which fool gave him that position?"

Adalbert got to his feet, taking Frederick's outstretched hand for help. After adjusting his collar and patting his neck, he returned to his desk with no seat. His chair lay in splinters, smashed by Cain's fury.

"You're much more sensible. Would you like-"

"I'd like to take over the proceedings of your surrender. Let's hurry before my uncle sends his Cardinals."

"Of course," Adalbert glanced nervously at the splintered doorway. "I've arranged all the papers we need to review and sign. I'll provide supplies but no troops. These mountains are full of beasts and you shouldn't trek through them."

"We won't we've just needed to secure our flank."

"Yes, if I may ask why have you invaded so suddenly? Why was there no letter of diplomacy?"

"We've sent them but we received messenger heads in return."

"What?! Her Majesty would never commit such a horrendous act. This no, this is a conspiracy. Treason! I must-"

"Explain in detail." Frederick cut off Adalbert's ramble. "Let's share our suspicions."

<Vienna>

Sakura tailed the tall blonde Valkyrie. She kept her distance, sticking to the sunbaked rooftops as she didn't cast a shadow. Vienna was a beautiful city, the statue that looked much like Kallen was by far her favorite attraction but over the past few days she had witnessed more. Music and plays were exotic to her. A step above those played in Koleston. She knew she couldn't be distracted but she wished for her reward at the end of this operation. They'd stop the war. That was certain. She had full faith in Kallen's abilities. She had full faith in her own. This was why she decided to follow the Valkyrie under the Queen as the Queen was stuck in bed. So far, she read the documents the Valkyrie scrouged up. She eavesdropped on the conversations the Valkyrie had initiated. There was nothing new to learn except for the fact that the Valkyrie was searching for the source of the letters the Queen received.