Chapter 4

Season 1 Episode 4

Aya POV

Stepping off the train, the hard winter air sliced my ears and I regretted not having a scarf; I did have a scarf, but it was stowed away in my luggage.

An Uber driver approaches, and my eyes widen when I realize it's my childhood best buddy Jerry. I mistook him for having left the state of Michigan.

"Jerry!" I squeaked and drew him into a hug, which he did not return. Okay, so I didn't receive the response I was looking for. If I recall well, he ended the segment on a low note, which was completely his fault. We applied to the same university, and because his grades were so low, it was evident that they weren't going to accept him.

"I was recruited by Abiga to pick you up. Because it's you, it's extra." He growled and walked away, leaving me to wrestle with the bags and suitcase.

"How's it going?" I inquired as soon as I stepped inside the car. I started searching through my purse again, expecting to find more gold.

"Everything is just how you left it, Aya." Through the rearview mirror, his lifeless brown eyes stared at me. His curl dark hair was the only thing that had changed, since it was now long instead of short. He had a beard that covered only a portion of his face.

"Here!" I smiled as I handed him a fifty dollar bill. I was very certain that was the last of the money in my bag.

He snatched it and tossed it into his glove compartment. Why was everyone so miserable this Christmas?

The travel from the train station to my house on Ludington was short and unpleasant, with me picking a fingernail from each row.

"I'm hoping to see you again." As I stepped out, I said.

"Hmm." He growled and drove away, leaving me alone to stare at my childhood home. Save for the Christmas decorations, it remains in the same location with no changes made. The brick walls appeared to be a little faded than I recalled.

My lips curved into a smile as memories of playing in the front yard surfaced.

I pulled my bag through the snow, and with each step, my feet smashed the ice, making a 'crunch' sound. I took a step up the icy steps, hoping not to break my neck before meeting my family.

I rang the doorbell and calmly waited. I use this opportunity to gaze around the beautiful neighborhood, where there was snow on every housetop and a snowman in every front yard. I must say, these folks have a stronger Christmas spirit than those in Texas, and I was overjoyed to be surrounded by it.

The smell of cinnamon, eggnog, and spice fills my nostrils as the ancient door swings wide.

My body was squashed by a hug, and the aroma of apple body wash filled my nose. I knew it was Abiba right away since she loves the aroma of apple and incorporates it into her everyday existence.

"Oh my goodness! I missed you so much!" She shrieked in my ears, her warm cheeks rubbing up against my frigid ones. "After phoning and not hearing from you, I assumed you wouldn't make it." She drew away, her teary eyes peering back at me.

"My battery ran out of power." I lied. I couldn't just tell her, "Oh, I quit my job, and because my boss can't take no for an answer, I turned my phone off," because she'd be furious.

"Mom! Dad! Athen! "Aya has arrived!" She yelled. The many foot steps sounded like thousands of horses rushing past. With three pairs of arms, I felt my body being crushed once more.

"Can't...breath." I moaned, attempting to take a breath. They slowly backed away, and my mother's wary fingers clutched my jaw. "You appear to be a little thin."