Chapter 14

Season 1 Episode 14

Aya POV

Darius never returned, so we had to phone Dad to come get us up. I was as quiet as a lamb the entire journey back home, and with the side glares Athen was giving me, I knew she was going to blame me. Mom and Abida had no idea, but I wouldn't say the same about Athen; at the very least, I only had one person to ride my ass over 'What happened to Darius?'

"I'll clean these up." I mentioned the mountain of plates, cutlery, and cooking tools we used up earlier in the kitchen. I needed to keep myself busy.

"I'll help." Athen said. I arched an eyebrow since I knew she was simply trying to help because she wanted to find out what occurred between Darius and me.

I started rolling the sleeves of my sweater and then started emptying the sink to make some soap water. Since I have a dishwasher back in the city, I haven't actually cleaned dishes in a while. I detest washing dishes, but when I was apartment shopping and saw the brandnew dishwasher crammed amongst the other kitchen equipment, I knew I had to get it, regardless of the price.

"So..."

"Yes Athen."

"What happened?"

"Nothing occurred; she just needed some space, which I'm giving her. That's all there is to it."

"Is it due of your convoluted personality? I mean, you're a pain to deal with." She laughed and snorted. I rolled my eyes as I tossed a dish into the rinse water, which splashed on her.

"Hey, you did that on purpose." She snarled.

"I honestly don't understand why you hate me or how you got the impression that I did something to her." I clenched my teeth.

"I don't hate you."

"You certainly do, Athen. Since I returned, not a single grin has graced your face when you see me. I'm not sure what I did to you, but if you could just let me know so I can make the necessary corrections."

We locked gazes for a few moments, my hand still in the soapy water.

"I don't...I don't hate you." She grumbled as she rinsed a few spoons and carefully arranged them in the utensil holder.

"I'm envy of you. Sure Abida isn't jealous. But mom and dad were always bragging about how successful you are, while Abida and I were simply blah. She has a terrible husband, I'm still attached to my ex, and you have a rich girlfriend, a wonderful city life, and an outstanding career." She elaborated. I never believed I was the favored kid; after all, I wasn't there for my parents like Abida and Athen. All I had to offer for love was money, and I discovered the hard way that it wasn't enough.

"Being in a metropolis and having a fantastic career does not imply that I have it all together. I haven't eaten a nutritious warm dinner in years. Every day, you get to sample Mom's cuisine. I have to tough it out in the city."

"Yeah right. It doesn't stop mom and dad from comparing us every now and again, and it's so fucking frustrating."

"All right, I'll talk to them one on one. Please quit hating on me because of something that isn't my fault."

minutes of silence fall between us...

"I suppose I was immature," she sighed.

"Nah,"

"I wished to be the one to assist our parents. Having you, the youngest of us all, care after them is a disaster. It is not fair to anyone."

I understand where she was coming from, yet providing money to them fills me with excitement. It was the only thing I could offer. I almost didn't make it home this year, owing to Abida's refusal to accept my bull crap excuse as an answer.

"Look, if you want a job in the city, I can go look for one. I have a spare room in my flat that is overrun with ghosts; it would be lovely to have a living soul occupy it."

"You'd do that for me." Allowing me to come reside with you and everything."

"You can even move back in with me when I leave after the new year. Where it could be both of sending money home."

I screamed as she drew me into an unexpected hug, her wet hands digging into my back, but I couldn't care less because Athen was hugging me, and that was all that mattered.

**********

While I've resolved any issues between my sister and I. Darius posed another obstacle because she had yet to return. We all agreed to remain awake and wait for her to return, but everyone's eyelids became heavy with sleep and they headed to bed. But I couldn't, and I wasn't sure why.

I'm not sure why the heck l gave a damn if she walked through that door or not. Simply by wondering what may go wrong for her, my heart was breaking my rib cage.

My body curled up on the chair, my gaze fixed on the cherry red glazed fire. I drew the blanket closer to my body. I let out a little sigh. Maybe she was at home in the comfort of her own home? Or perhaps she was lying in a ditch someplace.

"Be optimistic."

She might be warm without being in a ditch. Exactly! Warm, secure, and not in a ditch.

But why did I keep thinking she was in a ditch? I started biting on my lips in concentration. I sprang to my feet as I noticed her car's headlights flashing through the window.

I fly to the door and pull it open in less than a second, the chilly breeze stinging my body like a thousand wasps, but I didn't care. I watched as she staggered drunkenly up the steps, refusing to pass judgment and instead opening my arms to her. I wrapped my arms around her trembling body. She pressed her forehead on mine.

Seeing her lovely gray eyes, which are filled with nothing but sadness, crushes my heart. And I had no idea why. Was it possible that I had affections for this woman?

"I'm guessing you found Mr. Yeng's pub, huh?" Mr. Yeng with was the only liquor stop in the little town, as opposed to being able to acquire a couple beers and liquor at your local store.

"I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. Just... can you please tell me what happened."

She gave out an uneasy breath, her lips quivered again, and I clutched her close, not wanting her to slip away from me this time.

"I can't talk about it. I'm not going to talk about it."

I slid my hand to close the door before she could back up. "This time, you're not going anywhere." I muttered.

"I'm not going to talk about it." She sneered, staggering slightly; I pulled her off a little to balance her, but she smacked my hands away.

"It would be prudent to just discuss it." Looking at her bloodshot eyes, I murmured.

"I'm not going to. It has nothing to do with you."

"Please keep your voice down...I care about you and...and I know this months might be incredibly difficult for you and—"

"Do you fucking care?" she pushed past me and began climbing the stairs to our shared room. I went after her.

"Yes, we do care. We all stayed up late, beyond our bedtime, waiting for you, and I fucking care." I locked my gaze on her as she proceeded to remove her shoes and clothing. Even though I was starting to become annoyed with her, I couldn't help but stare at her figure in admiration. Gosh! I'll do everything for her to overpower me as she did the previous night.

Realizing she had caught me watching, I cleared my throat and looked away. She stood up and began walking towards me.

"Should we keep trying to have that baby?"

"You have some fucking nerves," I chided. My pussy, on the other hand, was throbbing beneath my nightgown.

"I'm not going to fuck you until you tell me what happened."

"We'll see about that." She muttered as she seized my face and kissed my lips firmly. My chest was heaving when she finally parted. "I'm still upset with you." I smacked her across the chest. "I know, but we have a mission, don't we?"