Chapter 21

Season 1 Episode 21

Aya POV

"No!" In my slumber, I whimpered as my body was placed on the springy bed. My eyes widened slightly. "Where are you going?" I almost panicked, but she kissed my lips. "I have to go."

"Where!"

"Don't be concerned; I'm only going to the store."

"It's too early for the store." I turned on my stomach and muttered. Darius laughed, her voice a little muffled. Her lips brush over my ear, making me tremble yet fall deeper into the bed.

"Please stay with me."

"Don't be alarmed; I'll be back before you know it." Just get some rest, Butterfly." That was the last thing I heard before falling asleep peacefully.

***********

I awoke sluggish and rather nauseated. I wasn't going to eat any more chocolate chip cookies, or any other kind of sweets for that matter.

But, with the holidays still ongoing, I knew it was a lie, because as I walked into the kitchen, a fresh batch of cookies on a platter was out, and my small fingers went straight for them. Swallowing the first mouthful was agony, and I should probably rest my stomach for the day.

"Well, you've been sleeping virtually all day." As she came into the kitchen, Abida remarked.

"Can you tell me what time it is?"

"Around lunchtime."

"I overslept."

"Where has everyone gone?" The house was quite quiet.

"Mom and dad are at church distributing cookies. Athen and Darius is out. And Tommy and I had just returned from some Christmas shopping, but he's fast sleeping."

I agreed, certain that the tree would be piled high with Christmas gifts because everyone seemed to be doing their Christmas shopping.

"I eat too many sweets, and my stomach is revolting." I clutched my gut and grumbled. I felt my stomach practically flying into overdrive yesterday after stuffing it full of cookies, chocolate, and coffee. Despite the pain in my gut, I couldn't stop thinking about what Darius had told me; I've never felt closer to her than I do now.

"Would you want some mint tea?"

"You are, indeed, the best. I have to stroll into town for a few minutes. I haven't finished my Christmas shopping yet."

"Well, you should hurry because the stores appeared to be twice as packed as before." I doubt it would be comparable to my hometown in Texas. I would admit that the gift wrapping queue was a nightmare, and I regretted not knowing how to wrap my present, which was also time consuming.

"I wish Santa Claus was real." With a grateful gesture, I accepted the cup of mint tea. My stomach delighted as I inhaled the minty fragrance. Perhaps this was just what I needed.

"I will never put another cookie in my mouth again." I muttered as I reached for the cookies, but Abida smacked my arm away. "I'll make some breakfast, I meant, lunch. I'm quite hungry myself."

"Darius and Athen both told you where they had gone."

"They left quite early."

I arched an eyebrow, taking a drink of the hot tea; miraculously, the calamity in my stomach was gradually fading, and I was grateful.

"I'm not sure I trust them both."

"Are you jealous?" Abida burst out laughing.

"Oh my God. They're two insane folks driving an automobile. I was certain they were drinking or smoking. Darius informed me recently about Athen's daily consumption of a little puff of marijuana. I'm sure she takes more than a puff."