Chapter VI

Chapter 6

JAY

Em cried into my chest, staining my chest but I couldn't care less that my shirt was now wer. I wanted to know why she was shedding so many tears.

The harder she cried, the tighter I held her, and the more painful the ache in my heart became. I needed her to know that I'm here for her. I regret having having moved 2 years back.

Who knows what could have happened in her life since then? I mean, she went through so much of trauma because she thought that I was dead.

I frowned a bit at the thought again. It didn't make any sense to me as it didn't make any sense to Em earlier on. I pressed my lips against her forehead after whispering soothing words into her ear. Seeing her so down never failed to upset me.

People gave us worried looks as they passed by. I gave them a small smile, trying to assure them that they need not intervene. Em slowly but surely calmed down a bit. Her breathing slowed down to its normal pace and my body relaxed a bit in return. She looked at my shirt and chuckled to herself.

"I'm sorry about that." she apologised.

Her eyes were bloodshot red, her cheeks were stained with tears and her face was puffy. It pained me to see her in this state.

I lightly shook my head at her, signalling that it was okay.

I looked at her with sympathy and concern. Trying my best not to be nosy and demand for information, I asked her, "Wanna talk about it?"

She nodded her head in response. I was grateful that she felt comfortable to talk about it with me. Maybe, just maybe, our trust in each other hasn't withered.

EMBER

"Wanna talk about it?" Deigo asked me. His emeralds were filled with so much of sympathy and concern, it only warmed my heart.

Of course, I wanted to talk to him about it. He is the only person I would feel a hundred percent okay talking about my issues to.

Deigo signalled for us to take a seat by a bench. It seemed to be a small park. The grass was ever so green, the birds were chirping in the trees above us. The park he chose was not flooded with people. I hadn't seen anyone yet. He knew that I wasn't too fond of being centre of attention, especially in my current state. I smiled at the thought of him considering my comfortability and feelings.

No one has thought about that for me in a long while.

"Where do I start..." I breathed out as I sat down on the warm bench.

Thank you, Sun. I was freezing.

"Anywhere you want." Deigo said. I realised he wasn't trying to put any pressure on me and I was grateful for that.

"After you left, Step Mitch had told me, so rudely, that you've passed away. He was like 'Oh, darling. I have such terrible news. Your little best friend has died.' It was like he couldn't wait to tell me. I was shocked, of course, and it seemed as if my reaction to what he had said to me humoured him so much. He didn't even try hard to try hide the smirk that was so visible on his ugly face!" I seethed.

"He saw the confusion etched all over my face and happily nodded as if to answer the question in my mind, if he was telling me the truth. I recall him saying that I shouldn't be a fucking big baby, that him and my mom were planning on making their own one. Gross. I still can't believe he joked in a time like that. He then said that it happens often in life and it's best that I get used to it." I sighed heavily, while looking down on my lap. "Which reminded me of my dad."