Chapter XVII

Above is a picture of how Zindra-lee Janvier looks! Pretty, aint she? ;)

Hope you enjoy reading, don't forget to vote and comment if you may x

Chapter 17

JAY

THE COLD AIR whisked through my hair, rushing past my body while I leaned it against my car. Checking my watch, I realised it had been a good 30 minutes since Em's silhouette disappeared into the house she once called home; my second home.

We used to spend so much of our time over at each other's homes. Ever since her dad had passed away and Step Mitch entered our lives, she had been over mine more frequently and spent even more nights there. I came to a conclusion that it was too overwhelming and stressful for her. Her mom barely mourned for the loss of her husband that she claimed to love with all her being, mind and soul, as it just took two months for her to get her feet swept away by Step Mitch.

I was in deep mourning along with Em. He was my second father. We got along too well it hurt whenever realisation decided to slap me yet once again in my face; I was never going to see him again. They were really my extended family.

I etched my brows together, surprised yet confused that I hadn't heard any voices being raised from inside the house. Was Em really keeping her cool like she said she would? If so, she had amazed me once again, which she never failed doing.

I decided to walk along the street to pass some time. Hands buried into my pockets, I trampled on the leaves beneath me which ignited a feeling of thrill within me. The sound of leaves being crumpled was a pleasant sound to me. Don't ask why.

I was now passing Mrs Janvier's house. Pausing for a moment, I contemplated whether or not to greet her. I hadn't seen her ever since I left. My gloomy thoughts were replaced by happy ones as I thought of her. She had always been very kind to Em and I. She ever graciously gave us lots of candy on Halloween and baked all kinds of cakes for us as treats during our holidays.

She had a daughter, Zindra-lee, who was just a year older than I was. She was just as warm hearted as her own mother.

Taking in breath, I hesitantly placed my knuckles on the dark brown wooden door, knocking three times. I stood back and patiently waited as I found it very annoying when someone constantly knocked.

Sooner rather than later, the silver door knob turned. I was greeted with kind eyes, accompanied by a genuine smile, all plastered on a face that I knew too well to call a stranger.

"Jay!" Mrs Janvier exclaimed as sparks of excitement resided in her eyes and her mouth fell agape.

"Aunty Jan." I sincerely addressed her, returning her tight and warm embrace.

"My boy! How have you been? Come-come inside! Oh, how I have missed you so much. Look at how even more handsome you've grown!" she said all too quickly for me to try and register it all before responding.

"I'm good, I guess." I shyly smiled at her.

"Who is it, mom?" a familiar feminine voice curiously asked. Soon enough, a young woman with grey and striking light green eyes appeared in the hallway.

Her forestry green eyes lit up as soon as they landed on me.

"Jay!" she said in half surprise and excitement. It would be an understatement to say that she jumped on me.

A smile immediately made its way to my lips and I embraced her smaller frame in my arms.

Thankfully, it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Zindra-lee had once had a crush on me before when we were a bit younger. My feelings for her, unfortunately for her, weren't mutual. I saw her as an older sister. She told me that Aaliyah; one of her all time favourite singers, had once sang that age is just a number. She later argued that it was because of Ember; that I had feelings for instead. Little did she know that I, very much, too, saw Em as a sister of mine. I don't know if my feelings are still the same but I somehow knew I'd be lying to myself if I said that they were.