Chapter IX

I tried to make this chapter special, something like my birthday treat to y'all. So please do enjoy reading :)

Chapter 9

EMBER

     Jay was quick in the shower, while I took 20 minutes at least in the shower whenever I was in a hurry. Total opposites.

     After a very short while, he casually strolled back into the tv room, where I was glued to the tv. I could smell his divine cologne all the way from where I was seated. He used to smell good, he had to smell good because he was in the soccer team, but now he smelt even better.

     "What's up?" Jay asked.

     "Watching Jane The Virgin." I beamed at him.

    "Oh, dear! You're not over that show, are you?" he asked ridiculously.

     "Nope. Not today, not tomorrow, nor yesterday." I proudly stated.

     He shook his head in a joking manner. "Would you care for some snacks?"

    "Of course." I said as I paused the tv and followed him into the kitchen.

     Jay opened a cupboard that was stacked with chips and sweets.

     "What tickles your fancy, my lady?"

     I hummed while picking out some snacks. I reached up for a packet of skittles and astros. I went onto my tippy toes in an attempt to get some Maynard ice-cream sweets.

     "Let me." Jay offered as he gently squeezed my shoulders and easily reached for the packet of sweets. Jay didn't even have to stand on his tippy toes, which triggered a feeling of jealousy within me. He was obviously amused. He handed me the packet of sweets and I thanked him with a forced smile.

     "Ember, this is it. You're going to stay this short for the rest of your life." Jay laughed out loud as he clenched his stomach.

     "Am not! You watch this space, Deigo Jay. I will grow! Whether I like it or you don't!"

     "Oh yeah? You have 4 more days to grow before you turn 16, Em. Four. An average girl stops growing by then. Who goes 8 inches in that short amount of time span? Not you." Jay continued to tease me. I like to believe that isn't wasn't, in fact, it. That I am going to grow taller. Jay doesn't know a thing of what he is talking about. I stomped my foot and ran upstairs. Jay slowly trailed behind me, his laughter echoing throughout the hallway.

     "If I you continue to call me shrimp, then I shall call you a giant!" I shouted through the hallway and slammed my door. I threw myself on the bed and puffed out the air from my cheeks. I heard knocking on my door, followed by Jay's voice, "Shrimpy! Open up, please. C'mon, shrimp. You can't stay mad at me, I was only stating the facts. You and I both asked Mrs Johnson on Wednesday afternoon to confirm your fear of never growing again, remember? Do you remember what she said, Em?" Jay spoke loudly to me through the door.

     "Go away, giant!" I shouted back. I didn't want to hear that I may not grow anymore after I turn 16. I'm not short but I'm not exactly tall either and what's even more frightening is that everyone who was once labelled "short" in middle school are now taller than me!

     "She said that an average girl stops growing by the age of 16. You're weird and all but you better hope that you're not average, shorty."

     I buried my face into my pillow as I thought of a comeback. It popped into my head. It was lame but it was all I had, "You're so tall that you can see into next year and you can see that you still don't have a girlfriend!"