Chapter XXIV

dedicated to @sham2002

My flawless babies, if you could change your name, what would it be and why? I'd just like to know xD

Please keep in mind that I haven't edited this chapter yet. Please give constructive criticism and your opinion in general! Enjoy reading :)

EMBER

     Passing through the white corridor, I took in the scent of the medicine familiarised with hospitals. Hospitals were never amongst my favourite places to visit. They had a gloomy feel to it, or maybe I only felt that way. Mama insisted on pushing my wheelchair for me, in fear of me straining my body or causing pressure on my arm. I hoped for a speedy recovery.

We were passing the children's wards. The walls were decorated with different coloured and cheerful pictures. There was a "wish wall" where each child wrote one of their wishes down. 'I wish my sister was here.' 'Ice-cream forever!' 'I wish my mom would stop crying. Everything will be better.' 'I'm going to win this battle against cancer.' My heart felt for the children who wrote these. I only read a few and I immediately felt so much empathy for them. I'm grateful that all I was charged in hospital for was injuries that would heal soon. I hope the best for these beautiful children and their families. They don't know what their outcomes are going to be. Nobody truly knows. They dream of going outside and playing in the sun with their pets or friends. I look forward to feeling the sun kiss my skin. No one knows if any of the patients are going to experience the feeling of the sun's love against their skin again. God be with them.

I turned my head forward as we left the children's ward and up ahead I saw two figures briskly walking towards Jay, Mama and I. My heart skyrocketed towards my throat and sank to the ground.

Mr and Mrs Alvarrez. Jay's mama and papa...

I blink, daring the scenery to change before me. Shock and confusion resided in me. Were they here for me? Jay must have told them of my incident but why had they come? Did they honestly care? I doubt it as they were the ones involved in keeping Jay and I apart.

Mrs Alvarrez held the bouquet of roses to her husband's chest and jogged up to my fragile state. "Oh, Em!" She said in relief. She cupped my face before embracing me. A warm feeling made itself home in the pit of my stomach. I instantly felt like crying. Mr and Mr Alvarrez and Mama were in the same corridor. A dark cloud of tension with no silver lining loomed above us, threatening to rain and consume us whole.

"How are you feeling, baby? It has been too long." her gentle hands caressed my face and then wiped a tear streaming down her face. I smiled at her in response, fumbling over the many words forming foam in my mouth. I wanted to say so much, to ask so much, but not a sound escape my lips. Mr Alvarrez came closer to me and handed me the bouquet of roses and kissed my forehead. The smile on his face made me blush. I missed him.

I looked up to Jay behind me. Was this the moment? I looked to Mama and then to Mrs Alvarrez. Mama had a small and sad smile plastered on her face, as if she knew that the moment of truth was near. Mrs Alvarrez seemed almost ashamed. Jay and I had been dying to know had she had been ashamed.

MAMA'S EYES DILATED between mine before she looked down. I was impatient for her explanation. Jay had returned home with his parents. I was back home. It didn't feel like the same home as I was in when I was 10 years old while my dad was still around. The familiarity was so close yet so far away and that caused an aching pain in my heart. I could see the happy lifestyle we were all endorsed in but now I could only dream of it. Things will never be the same, no doubt. Especially after hearing the truth.