chapter 22

*sorry for mistakes*

Yui thought it was odd that on the way home the brothers were all quiet and stared at her. She supposed it was odd for them to see her feeding off someone’s emotions, but she was hungry.

She readied for bed and padded to her chambers to sleep for the day. She wasn’t sure if any of the brothers would show up to rest with her for the day. They were acting odd with her. It hurt if she was being honest with herself. She was different now, she knew. DIfferent from the Eve they knew and loved, and certainly different from Yui, the meek girl that first arrived here at the estate.

She liked these new changes, she embraced them. She was strong and powerful, but she wasn’t conceited like they were. She still had her flaws, everyone did. She was far from perfect. She hoped that they would accept the new version of Yui and still accept her. She had forgiven them for their transgressions against her, so she hoped that they would see that fundamentally, so was still the same girl that loved from so long ago.

A light knock on the door brought Yui out of her musings. "Yui, it's Subaru. May I come in?"

"Come in, Subaru." She sat up in bed and gave him a smile when he entered. "Is everything alright?"

His cheeks turned a light shade of pink, "Yes. I'm supposed to… someone has to sleep in here with you each night.” He looked the other way while speaking.

Yui shifted slightly in bed, "You can come over here if you wish.," She paused for a moment. "Unless you wish to sleep on the couch?" she raised a brow.

She wasn’t sure where she stood with each of them and she felt her anxiety spike. She was glad it was Subaru today.

Subaru looked at her and gave a half-grin. "No. The bed would be appreciated." He stepped beside the bed and slipped under the covers next to her and looked at her. "Is this okay?" he whispered.

Yui nodded softly. "It's fine," she took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. "I need to start working towards trusting you again."

She may have forgiven them, but they still needed to build her trust. She loved them, so that helped her move forward, but she was tired of being on her guard around them. They were supposed to bond, to mate. She wanted to, she did. She loved them all. It was difficult laying next to him especially when she was always aroused, and she was sure everyone could smell it on her. ‘Stupid pregnancy hormones. Stupid Fae heritage,’ She didn’t want to be a slave to her body’s needs and wants.

He propped his face against his palm and looked down at her, a frown on his handsome face, "You don't know how sorry I am for what happened."

"Shu explained to me briefly why it happened."

His head snapped up. "He did? What did he tell you?"

"He said it was because I was the first bride to survive the awakening, and that you all wanted to claim me, and it kinda...came to a head, as he put it. So you all argued that night, and what happened was the result of that."

He nodded and grasped her hand. "I really am sorry, Yui."

"I'm trying to come to terms with it. I am trying to only remember the good times I had with each of you in the past," she smiled up at him.