Chapter Forty-Two: Great Big Ball of Nothing

As I suspected, a crew came and loaded the TARDIS onto the back of a truck, and Rose and I watched through the cameras, monitoring every area as we passed. 

"Oi, where are you taking that?!" Jackie asked, the camera picking up her and the Doctor standing with the woman in what appeared to be some kind of warehouse. 

"Is that a Jathaar bloody sunglider?" I whispered. "What the hell are these people into?" 

"If its alien, its ours." The woman said. 

"You'll never get inside it." The Doctor said, staring directly into the camera. 

"Etcettera." She walked away as we passed and the Doctor nodded at the camera. 

"We're gonna have to poke around while they're distracted with him," I said, "Find the source and purpose of the ghosts, and maybe see what other dangerous toys they've got lying around." 

~~~Doctor~~~

Torchwood. Bloody Torchwood. If Mary hadn't been paying attention, would I have even noticed how they keep popping up? I'm glad she and Rose are poking around unsupervised. They might know everything there is to know about my past, but they didn't account for her. 

"All those times I've been on Earth, I've never heard of you." I lied, walking on one side of Yvonne Hartman while Jackie took the other. 

"Well of course not, you're the enemy," She said, "You're actually named in the Torchwood Foundation Charter of 1879 as an enemy of the crown." 

"1879 - That was called Torchwood, that house in Scotland." I realized. 

"That's right. Where you encountered Queen Victoria and the werewolf." 

"I think he makes half of it up." Jackie commented. 

"Her Majesty created the Torchwood Institute with the express intention of keeping Britain great and fighting the alien horde." 

"But if I'm the enemy, does that mean I'm a prisoner?" I questioned. 

"Oh yes," She said, coming to a stop outside of a large vault door, "But we'll make you perfectly comfortable. And there is so much you can teach us. Starting with this."

She scanned her ID and the door slid open, revealing a large, mostly empty room...with a giant golden sphere floating toward the back of it.

"Now, what do you make of that?" Yvonne asked. 

"You must be the Doctor," One of the scientists said, straighten his lab coat and moving to stand in front of me, "Rajesh Singh. Its an honor, sir."

"Yeah." I said, not taking my eyes off of the sphere. 

"What is that thing?" Jackie asked. 

"We've got no idea." 

"What's wrong with it?"

"What makes you think there's something wrong with it?" Dr. Singh asked her. 

"I don't know," She replied, "It just feels weird."

"The Sphere has that effect on everyone. It makes you want to run and hide, like its forbidden." 

I bolted away from the group, running up the stairs and onto the small observation deck. 

"We've tried analyzing it, using ever device imaginable. But, according to our instruments, the Sphere doesn't exist. It weighs nothing, it doesn't age. No heat, no radiation, and has no atomic mass." 

I took out my 3D glasses, putting them on and looking up at the sphere. 

"I can see it." Jackie argued.