Chapter One: John Smith

"Darling, we're sorry. We're so, so sorry."

'We're crashing! The engines are failing, there's nothing we can do!"

"Be strong, my darling girl. We love you so much. You are going to do such great things. Build a life for yourself. Find love. Do that for your Mum and Dad."

"No! NO! NOOO-"

I bolted upright in my bed, my body drenched in a cold sweat.

Its always the same, that particular dream. I've had many strange dreams for as long as I can remember, but that particular one likes to pop up every now and then, and its always the same. Its a chaotic slew of images; fire, explosions, a pair of kind blue eyes, filled with tears, and those words. A man and a woman talking over the chaos, always those same apologies and proposed promises; a mention of a Mum and Dad and then the screams of death...

Then I wake up. Every time, without fail, sweating and confused I bolt upright in bed with tears streaming down my face. And that's the even weirder part...I never feel sad or scared and yet I always wake up crying. It makes no sense.

I heard a car horn sound outside, drawing me back to reality. I sighed, shoving my long red mop of hair out of my face before tearing myself out of bed and going to the window. I shoved the curtains aside to see Sarah Jane's car parked in my driveway. I slid the window open and she opened her car door, climbing out of it.

"Were you still asleep?!" She called. "Was it the dreams again?"

"Always is." I replied. "Give me a minute, I'll be right down."

"Don't be too long! Mr. Finch is expecting us. And don't forget your camera, you're my 'photographer' remember?" I nodded, leaning inside again and shutting the window. 

I'd stumbled across Sarah Jane Smith when I was fifteen...at least, that's how old she said I looked, so we just went with that. She'd been investigating some strange behaviors in a shop keeper in Cardiff and I was a lost, confused, and homeless child who was just trying to steal some food in order to survive. She found me as I was breaking in and the two of us ended up getting wrapped up in a child smuggling ring. Together we took them down...and we've been together ever since.

If Sarah Jane's sentiment is to be believed, I am now twenty-eight years old. I've been investigating with Sarah Jane for thirteen years now and on this particular day, we're headed to a school that; after the arrival of a new headmaster, the students are suddenly achieving incredibly high marks. Impossibly high. We're going in under cover today, posing as a reporter and her trusty photographer, doing a piece on Mr. Finch and his incredible academic achievements.

I stumbled around my room, a tooth brush hanging out of my mouth as I pulled on a pair of jeans and a faded 'Rolling Stones' t-shirt. I slipped my feet into my black high-top converse and pulled on my denim jacket before running to the bathroom and spitting out my toothpaste. I grabbed my keys and started down the stairs towards the front door before remembering two very important things. I doubled back, running into my bedroom and grabbing my camera off the bedside table as well as my locket, which I immediately fastened around my neck and tucked underneath my t-shirt.

My locket is the only thing I had on me when I woke up in the alleyway. Its the first possession I've ever owned as far as I know. Its a rather large, round, vintage looking locket with strange circular markings on the pendant. I have my suspicions that inside it might lie a clue as to who I am and why I can't remember, but I've never actually opened it. I'm too afraid to...I don't know why, really.

I also grabbed my messenger bag before rushing out the door, barely managing to lock it behind me before climbing into the passenger's seat.

"Record time. You sure do have a knack for getting ready in a rush." She stated, turning around to look behind her as she backed out.