Fifty two: Resentment

His head and lower legs are wrapped in bandages. He has an excruciating pain in his chest that it feels as though his ribs are broken. Taehyung leaned forward, hands pressed on the mattress, and gaze darting all over the place. A closed door and a strange porthole is all he sees.

A line of IV fluid is inserted into the front of his hand. He pulled it out with a grunt, the fluid helplessly dripping off the thin tube. He was dressed in a plain shirt and loose pants, which was not what he remembered wearing the night before. After getting out of the bed, he made his way towards the door. Surprisingly, it was unlocked.

He was turning breathless as he applied pressure to the front of his right hand, where the IV needle was buried, in an attempt to stem the flow of blood. He hobbled forward, the light from the chandelier gleaming upon him. It appeared to be a large apartment with a lavish interior.

He passed a piece of metallic art while stumbling through the lounge area. He had to pause and quickly scan his surroundings since it seemed like there was no end to this place. It was as though he was lost in an opulent maze. Behind him, a piano tinkled, startling him enough to make him wince. The floor-to-ceiling window revealed a lady in a blue gown, peacefully playing a white piano.

Finding himself lost, he moved close to the window. It was then that he noticed the vast, black sea. He staggered back, it's not an apartment. He's on a ship.

He bolted to the left, hurtling through the hallways and down the stairs. Strange men in black suits were getting out of a cabin which made him rush to hide, panting and holding his mouth to not let out a sound.

A tight grip on his nape bled a scream out of his throat. He turned to face the solemn face of the man, "Let go of me!"

Another man joined in to assist. It did not take much effort for them to drag him up the stairs and force him onto the ship's deck. The piano sounded too close to his ears now. He's pushed to walk towards the round table, which is laden with elaborate dishes ranging from braised to barbecued pork to brown rice and creamy pasta. A whole roasted turkey sits in the center of the table, a decorative piece meant to please the eyes.

The only thing preventing him from feeling queasy is the bundle of cut fruits and veggies. He is pushed down to a chair, directly across from the man in a silver-grey suit. Taehyung's gaze darted from the lady playing the piano to the six white men standing a few feet away from the dinning table. Most terrifying of all was the pitch-black sea.

"I was wondering if I had to finish this dinner alone." His Korean was tinged with an American accent. He was casually slicing the braised pork into bite-sized pieces.

Taehyung tries to calm his rapidly racing heart. Heebong raised his head, focusing his piercing eyes on Taehyung. "Come on, have a taste"

His bittersweet tone makes taehyung want to puke on his pork. The gentle sonata of Mozart drifted into the cold space, giving a sense of courage to taehyung.

"Are you the one who wants me dead?"

Heebong almost swallowed the pork piece, but the uncontrollable burst of laughter paused him. He pulled out a napkin and wiped the grin off his face, "That would be me"

Taehyung shifted uncomfortably in his chair, trying not to show the fear that was coursing through him.

"Poker face, weak hands, terrified yet bold eyes. You really are one of a kind, aren't you?" His smile broadens. "Where are the introductory questions you are supposed to bombard me with?"

His stiff men joined him in laughing. "Who are you? Where am I? What do you want from me? Hm?" Their laughter echoed like a sinister song.

The piano had stopped playing and silence gradually descended. Taehyung kept his gaze steady on the man he had never met before. Despite this, he could see through the man's fake smile, an unknown hatred lurking behind his phony face.