Fifty five: Nightmares

NIS reveals shocking details of the massive drug trafficking between US and Asia led by Byun Heebong, a genius scientist and half-American drug lord.

The world used to know him as the chairman and founder of the billion dollar US company, ByunSee, all while hiding his criminal empire behind the guise of a legitimate businessman.

Jungkook glances over at the TV screen in the waiting room of hospital. The front office receptionist handed out the admission form, briefly taking his attention but he remains attentive to the news playing on TV.

NIS declared Byun Heebong dead in an encounter at Deacheoung Island, where he drugged around fifty-eight native villagers in which nine are dead and twenty are severely injured by the boat explosions he crafted.

Wilkonn is the name of the drug he created back in 2018 in the secret laboratories build inside his company headquarters. It has certain basic similarities with GHB and Scopolamine, yet the details aren't confirmed nor revealed. The scientists report it as the most dangerous drug so far creat—

He blocks out the sounds when disturbing memories crosses his mind. He signs the paper, hands it over to the receptionist and strides out of the hospital.

Two days elapsed. These two days instilled in him the habit of reading room numbers while walking through the hallways. It takes his mind off of the stress coursing through his body.

Much hasn't changed. The pain is still fresh and burning. Taehyung tries not to show it, but he's just as disturbed as Jungmin. Loud noises flinch them, strange faces make them uneasy, and the mere thought of leaving the room makes them nervous. Taehyung is on complete bed rest, recovering from his wounds and a hairline fracture in his radius bone.

Jungkook makes his way to the green space of the hospital, immediately greeted by the mixed scent of flower garden. The wind carries the vibrant red leaves of maple trees, resembling the sunset drawn across the sky. The outdoor warmth comforts him like an old friend.

Friend. His eyes settle on Bogum, sitting on a park bench, having a perfect view of the garden pool and setting sun peeking through the tall trees. Jungkook heads straight to him, takes a seat on the bench, and looks intently at his son.

Jungmin is holding a maple leaf, idly waving it like a flag. He frequently steals a glance at Jin, and then at Ara and her former friend and new brother, Eunhyuk. Four of them sit by the garden pool, watching the ducks and their little ducklings quack.

Jungkook can tell that his son is not quite enjoying the company. He wonders how long it will take for Jungmin and Ara to become friends. His attention is drawn to Claire who's dragging her wheelchair and joining Jin and the kids. She's not allowed to walk yet.

If the bullet pierced her stomach like it was supposed to, then she wasn't going to live—that was what her trauma surgeon said. The soft body armour that she wore that night couldn't stop the bullet but it definitely reduced the speed and damage. She avoided a major abdominal gunshot wound which would've gave her multiorgan damage.

"How's she doing?"

Bogum draws in a deep breath, his gaze fixed on Claire. His mouth curled into a smile when he saw her laughing at something that Jin said. "Not bad. Says she has took worst shots."

Jungkook hums, a playful smile dancing at the corner of his lips. "Did she confess her profound feelings?"

"Well, I don't know. She was under sedation and was mumbling something..." The brief pause expresses Bogum's flustered emotions. "Something strange. I don't think she even remembers."