The Meet

"What the fuck?!" Preksha was the first one to break the silence

"What the fuck?!" Preksha was the first one to break the silence. I had just broken the news to the girls. The news of my potential marriage. It felt odd even thinking that.

"No way, you can't do this!" Jannat exclaimed, absolutely shocked.

"Weren't you complaining just the other day, that you wouldn't be able to see my wedding?" I replied.

"Yeah, but- but not like this! I wanted you to marry for love!" She asked disbelief etched onto her face.

"Not happening, honey." Was all I could say. I hated the idea much more than her, but I had no choice. 

"Sammy-"

"Look, it's not like I am getting married. I am just going to meet him, if I don't like him, which I am sure I won't, I am not going to marry him. Simple." I said taking my hair out of the towel. I just had a bath, and was getting ready for the party. And to meet your potential in-laws, my brain reminded me. 

The three girls, except Megha, who had an important meeting, had arrived a few minutes ago, all decked up, and I had immediately shared the news with them. Their reactions had been quite predictable.

"Girls, come down, guests have started arriving." My mother's voice called from the hallway. Shit, I was not even dressed, I had to put on makeup and dry my hair. My mom came in and looked at me a little disappointed that I was taking so much time. 

"Jannat, Preksha, Saanvi, you go down, I'll help Samiksha." She said quietly. Nobody argued with her and they left.

"I am sorry, Samiksha." My mother said after a few minutes of combing my hair. 

"I am not mad at you, mom." I replied.

"I know. But I should've told you something before. Given you a hint." 

"You should've." I agreed.

"Listen to me carefully, Samiksha. When you meet the Randhawas, I need you to be on your best behavior. I need you to smile and be obedient. Not because you're a woman, but because you're from a good family who have taught you manners. Even if they don't end up being your in-laws, your dad still has to work with them. I hope you understand that?" 

"Yes, mom." Everything I had learnt about being a strong woman, I had learnt from her. Not because she had stood up for what she believed in, but because she took a seat for what was right. My mother was not strong by today's standards, she was strong because she went through a lot of shit but didn't let it break her. She went through years of oppression but still raised me to be like this. She taught me to be everything she was not. So if she was telling me to do something as simple as that, I would. Because I know she will not teach me to be weak. 

"Thank you, Samiksha." The way her eyes shined looking at me, I knew she was not just talking about tonight, or the deal.

I got dressed, did my makeup and wore all the heavy jewellery. By the time I was ready, it was pretty late and the party had started. So, I urged mom to go down, telling her I was right behind her. After she left, I took a last look in the mirror and allowed myself to feel nervous one last time for the entire night, and then I too proceeded downstairs to meet my potential husband.