Innocent Until Proven Guilty

"Your honor, this case is a waste of the court's time

"Your honor, this case is a waste of the court's time. The allegations made by Mr. Shivam Jindal rely on circumstantial evidence and the questionable testimony of individuals with clear motives to see my client fall. I move for dismissal." Samiksha's voice is steady as it echoes in the near empty courtroom. Confidence radiates from her as she addresses Judge Kulkarni. 

Subhash Avalani and Shivam Jindal sit at the prosecution table opposite us. Jindal's smug smile grates on my nerves but I ignore him. 

"Your honor, this is not a Ponzi scheme or insider trading, it's cold blooded murder. Lives were lost, and their families want justice. Mr. Jindal wants justice." Subhash chimes in smoothly, rising from his seat, "Dismissing this case would not allow them to get the justice they deserve." 

"Your client wants justice? That's not what you told me at the CBI Headquarters, Mr. Avalani." Samiksha turns to Subhash, her voice accusing.

"What are you talking about, Ms. Arora?" The judge asks Samiksha. 

"I'm talking about the fact that when I confronted Mr. Avalani and told him that Mr. Jindal does not care about some workers in his factory, he just wanted to stick it to my client, he said and I quote, 'He did, and now I got him and you didn't see it coming'. This just proves that what have here is a business rivalry being disguised as a criminal case." 

"She's right, Your Honor. My client is sticking it to her client. Guilty as charged. Just like Mr. Randhawa. Let me-" Subhash goes on to defend himself but the judge cuts him off. 

"Okay, that's enough. I'm not a washing machine and you two are not here to air your dirty laundry." Judge Kulkarni appears frustrated, but Samiksha looks like she is not deterred. She glances at me and gives a slight nod of her head to show that she's got this. 

She's been doing that a lot lately- reassuring me of her ability, whether in the court or strategy meetings. And I get why she's doing it but I wish I could tell her that she doesn't need to. Despite everything, I still trust her and her instincts. That day at the CBI offices I said some things I didn't mean because shit was hitting the fan and I couldn't understand how we ended up there. But even then, I know I would not trust anyone else to be by my side more than her. 

"Mr. Randhawa admitted to bribing a man at Mr. Jindal's factory to sabotage production, and the very next week a fire was reported at the same factory killing six people." Subhash says.

"Because you negotiated a settlement in bad faith," Samiksha speaks with a clenched jaw before turning to Judge Kulkarni, "Your honor, why would my client admit to bribery if he knew it would tie him to these murders. And why was the fire not reported in the first place. There is no record of it happening." 

"Because, it's a sensitive issue that does not need to be advertised to the world. People are still mourning, Ms. Arora." 

Judge Kulkarni raises a brow at Subhash's response. "Mr. Avalani, you expect me to believe that a fire which resulted in six deaths was never reported or investigated? That alone is concerning."